PRE-Pre-Op Diet?

AutumnAlways
on 11/9/13 10:35 pm
Last week I decided to start a semi-liquid diet since my doc requires a two week pre-op liquid diet. I wanted to see if I could adjust. It has been difficult, but I have done it: an Atkins Shake for breakfast and lunch, then a regular dinner. The problem is I'm starving half the time...and I have my first surgical consult tomorrow. My date probably will not be until late December or early January.

Am I crazy for doing this? I feel like going back to eating until the pre-op diet. Any advice or similar experiences?

Thanks so much!

Autumn

claimmaster
on 11/9/13 10:53 pm - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

I would eat and focus on other things that you'll have to do after surgery, like not drinking with meals, giving up carbonated beverages...No need to suffer through the next 2 months.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

Annievvho
on 11/9/13 11:02 pm - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13
The purpose of the 2 week pre-op diet is to shrink your liver and reduce the risk of lacerating it during surgery. I agree with the above poster - practice eating without having anything to drink, eliminate other things you won't be able to have after surgery, maybe start exercising if you can so it's easier after.

I wouldn't want to burn myself out on the pre-op diet before needing to - doing it for an extended period with a regular stomach could burn you out, and you want to try to avoid cheating when you actually have to do it.

I have experimented a little to see how hard it's going to be, but all I did was see what it's like to replace 2 meals with a liquid protein smoothie.
Somedude
on 11/9/13 11:04 pm
VSG on 10/31/13

Yeah it's a little too early to start the diet, I understand trying it just to see what it is like but no need to make yourself miserable for any longer than necessary. Just try to cut back a little bit and make healthier substitutions to your diet if you want to get a head start.

metk79
on 11/9/13 11:06 pm

I was ordered to be on a two week liquid diet, but decided to do three weeks to lose as much weight as possible.  My doctor gave me a list of protein shakes, broth, SF Jello, and SF drinks.  I try to drink/eat every two hours to keep the hunger at bay.  The only solid food I can have is a couple pieces of lean deli meat when I feel too famished. 

Just remember the outcome and how awesome it will be to know not only did you conquer the liquid diet but you set yourself up that much better for a successful surgery!  I know it's hard but hang in there!  My surgery date is November 15th, so I am feeling your pain!!

AutumnAlways
on 11/9/13 11:17 pm
Thanks, everybody. This is all great advice. I will begin water aerobics on Monday at my gym and will just eat healthy without the liquid meals. I will also practice eating without drinking.

Have a wonderful day!

Autumn

Nancybefree
on 11/9/13 11:28 pm
VSG on 11/21/12

I didn't do anything nearly as severe as what you described, but from the day of my first surgeon consult I did cut way back on the carbs I was eating and also ate more lean protein and vegetables.  That resulted in a loss of nine pounds even before I started the two-week, shrink-and-calm-the-liver diet. 

IMVHO your choice isn't crazy, but easing back on the carbs and making sure you get lots of lean protein and green vegetables preop can be very helpful and probably would make you feel better, too.  :)

Hope all goes well!

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

ITwon
on 11/10/13 12:35 am - Woonsocket, RI
I agree with consensus. You'll have like a month of living on shakes and not eating around your surgery. Don't burn out on shakes. It'll be hard enough, don't make it harder. Focus on not drinking with meals and chewing thoroughly and eating slowly! Those take time to learn and are a benefit to you now! Good luck!
cappy11448
on 11/10/13 12:57 am

I think you will be so happy to have some weight loss completed when you start surgery.  I did a pre-pre-surgery diet that was solid foods but measured quantities.  My plan recommends we eat the post surgery VSG diet before surgery to establish good eating habits.

So I ate 3 meals a day - preferably with no snacks or high protein snacks.  I had 3 to 4 ounces of dense protein per meal which I ate first, and then filled up on healthy low carb veggies. I also practiced eating slowly, and limiting liquids before and after meals.  I lost 50 pounds pre-op in 3 months, and I was so glad to have that head-start on the weight loss. 

I find that eating carbs makes me crave food so I cut my carbs way back, so my only carbs were veggies and sugar-free, fat-free yogurt.  I need to keep my carbs low or I get terrible cravings that overcome my will power.  Perhaps low carb would help you with your hunger, as well.

Best of luck with your weight loss journey. 

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 392 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 423 views