Comments on 5 day pouch test.

Keelan
on 11/11/13 2:00 pm

So when it comes to the 5 day Pouch test what is everyone's opinion. Is it worth trying and did you benefit from it. Did it help you regroup and refocus and get you back to basic.

Positive or negative comments are welcome. I haven't tried it before but am now contemplating doing so.

Thanks,

Kee.

HW:274  SW:238  CW: 150.0  1St goal: 199.8  2nd goal:174 (100 pound lost)
My Persoanl Goal: (HIgh)150 (Low)140

1st goal acheived December 27th/2010. 1 week after my 3rd month surgery anniversary.
2nd goal acheived June 4th/2011. 2 weeks after my 8th Month Surgiversary

Gall Bladder surgery April 12,2012

You can either believe it will happen.....or believe it won't.  Both are self fulfilled prophesies. For Me it has happened.  My Surgery was September 21/2010

frisco
on 11/11/13 5:55 pm, edited 11/11/13 5:55 pm

First, you lost 124 pounds..... you know what's up and how to lose the weight.......

My opinion is that the 5 Day Pouch Test is a form of "Crash Dieting"......... and actually sounds/looks like torture......

But that again..... whatever works.....

I'm gonna guess that you want to get back on track and maybe fight some regain, decarb and just overall get you act straight.....?

If I were to put together a 5 Day Get Back on it program it might look more like this......

- Day 1 Protein drinks

- Day 2 Protein drink and two 200 calorie Protein centric meals

- Day 3 Same as day two

- Day 4 three 200 calorie Protein centric meals and one veg only snack

- Day 5 three 200 calorie meals and two veg only snacks.....

Stay on Day five till you lose the desired weight, than add a few more cals and carbs that are fiber rich and find your new balance point.

Doesn't it seem much more enjoyable to eat a nice piece of meat or fish with some veggies than another shake????

Protein drinks do very little for satiety, you need a dense protein to close your pyloric valve so the food can sit in there for a while.....

My opinion..... Hope this helps.....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

butrflygrl_67
on 5/1/14 10:32 pm - Fredericktown/Mansfield, OH

Frisco I jus wanted to thank you for your response.  I am going to give this a try

LilSleeved
on 11/11/13 7:38 pm

Every time since 2008 when I need to regroup or get my head back in the game, I return to my preop diet of ultra low carbs.  I cut my carbs to 20 grams or less, eat 3 oz of dense protein every 3 hours and I drink a 120 oz of water.  I always lose 13 to 17 lbs in a 10 day timeframe and my head is back on track.

My surgeon says that the 5 day Pouch Test is a "fad type diet" -- we don't have pouches, we have Sleeves and we need solid dense protein to keep us satiated.

Lost 271lbs with my LapBand in 22 months!  My Band malfunctioned and I gained almost 42lbs and then revised to the Sleeve 9/24/12!  I lost another 140 lbs with my Sleeve!  Loved the LapBand and Lovin' The Sleeve!

cajunlady1958
on 11/11/13 8:45 pm - Broussard, LA
Revision on 12/30/15
So very true Frisco. Thank you for the heads up and yours seems more doable that the original test.

You survived what you thought would kill you. Now straighten your crown and go forward like the Queen you are!

AdeanaMarie
on 11/11/13 10:54 pm - MI
VSG on 03/08/12

I totally loved doing the 5 day pouch test.  Really got me back into eating right, healthy and I felt refreshed after doing it.  But I think you have to have the right mind set going into it.  It cannot be just to get weight off, it has to be because you want to get back on track and that you are willing to get back to plan once you are done with the pouch test.  I like the liquid days, it resets my system, then the focus on protein, breaks me of some of the bad carbs I have let creep in.

I can see where it is "crash dieting" for some.  But I still get at least 800 calories or more a day doing it and I focus on the health part.  But I also did cleanses and liquid days previously to having surgery.  Fasting in various forms can be more than just a physical journey.  It can be mental, emotional and spiritual journey as well.  Depriving oneself on occasion is not always torture, it can create discipline and help get you back on track.

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

Zee Starrlite
on 11/12/13 12:07 am

I love it!   It's 5 days then Day 6 for the rest of your life - which is the way we were instructed to eat post-op in the first place.  Just try it and gain your own experience and opinion.  Watch the YouTube video's by Kaye Bailey herself.  Read all the" free" avail info on the 5 Day Pouch Test. so that you can do it right.  I personally have the books and I just love Kaye.  She researched and shared with us what works.

It is one way, you choose what works for you.  Everyone has an opinion.

All Best,

Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

edelu
on 11/12/13 4:06 am - los angeles, CA

I love it. Whenever i feel my head is out of the game (craving, hunger spikes, more eating) I do it and it gets me back on track.  It re-regulates hunger, cuts cravings and puts me back on the same road.  If you do it for weight loss and expect a lot this late out when your calories are already low, that might be a problem.  But for a recheck, I've had great results.  

Good Luck.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 19 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 19 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 194 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 279 views