Change in Taste?

KrissyMisssy
on 11/13/13 3:09 pm - TN
VSG on 12/02/13

I've heard some of you say that your tastes change after the surgery, so that you no longer think the things you once loved taste as good. I thought that sounded absurd, that I'd always love the taste of my beloved French fries. Well I've been sick the past few days and tonight my hubby brought home some McDonalds fries and I ate one. Well it was awful! It looked good, and I knew that if I wasn't sick it would have tasted great (it was one of the squishy ones lol). But it's like the taste didn't appeal to me at all. Is this what you're talking about? As much as I love the starchy carbs and I will surely miss them (maybe just the feeling I got from eating them, not the food itself), but I really hope this is what I might be able to expect in the future. If food could quit tasting so darn good then that takes away about 75% of my food problems lol. 

claimmaster
on 11/13/13 8:16 pm - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

Good foods taste even more delicious to me, I think because I only get a few bites before I'm done.  It leaves me wanting more, instead of stuffed and overloaded on the things I eat.  My tastes changed the most in what I like to drink.  I used to be a big Crystal Lite Fan, and I can't stand the stuff anymore.  About the only thing I can handle is Celestial Seasonings fruit teas made into iced tea with lots of sweetener added, and regular iced tea.  I also like very diluted fresh fruit juices.  I throw some berries or lemons(inside only, of course) in the blender with a lot of water, add some sweetener, and I love that.  Even coffee doesn't taste as good anymore.  Good, but not as good as it used to.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

fran67
on 11/13/13 9:30 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/08/12

I used to love lamb chops but now, even the smell of them makes me sick.  I always hated yogurt and tomatoes but now I like both.  Go figure!

4' 11" HW 218 SW 214 Original Goal of 125 in 8.5 mos Lowest Weight 119 CW 133 Trying to get back in the 122-128 range 

Gail D.
on 11/14/13 1:32 am

I was never one for super sweet foods -- if given the choice between a three layer chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, and say an apple turnover, I'd take the turnover -- and I didn't really 'crave' candies... but now, the thought of anything sweet really has no appeal for me.

Last week, my in-laws (who live with us) decided to try their hands at candy making. They make cherry cordials, caramels, maple walnut candies... and I didn't even taste a piece of one. Held no appeal. They baked dozens of cookies yesterday for my son's band... and that was dessert last night... and I didn't have any. Didn't appeal.

A couple weeks ago, our department at work had the monthly birthday celebration, which involves ice cream cake. I had what amounted to about 1/2 a spoonful of chocolate ice cream. It didn't taste bad, but it didn't taste good, and I felt nauseated afterwards. Certainly not a good enough experience to warrant me trying it again.

I crave savory foods now, but nothing too greasy or fatty.

So, yes... I would say your tastes change.

hollirrose
on 11/14/13 2:34 am
VSG on 04/21/12
My tastes have changed as well. I would never turn down a piece of cake before. Now...I realize that I just dont care for it. There are several things like that for me. Fries are nasty little sticks of greese...fried foods are for the most part pretty yucky. But there are other things that I do like now. Crackers, chips, cheetos. I never cared or ate that stuff before but now I like them. Now if I go "off plan" it is just something diffrent that I am eating. For the most part I prefer healthier food now...but I still have "bad" stuff that I like.
KrissyMisssy
on 11/14/13 4:36 am - TN
VSG on 12/02/13

Thanks, it's good to know what I might expect in the future. I guess if I tell myself I don't like certain foods, then maybe I'll start believing it. Especially after I get the surgery and I start dropping the weight. I can't think of anything that tastes good enough to make me want this 260 pound body back! 

Most Active