Which protein?

KrissyMisssy
on 11/16/13 4:32 am - TN
VSG on 12/02/13

I know this is probably redundant, but I can't seem to find the search feature from the mobile version. 

I'm still pre-op, but I want to try out some protein supplements/shakes so I have a better idea of what I'm doing after surgery. Where you get your protein? And what are some that other VSGers like and find work well. 

Again, sorry if this is a repetitive post. 

(deactivated member)
on 11/16/13 5:51 am - Canada

I've been drinking Ensure Protein.  I really like the chocolate. It's only 12g of protein though (225 cal, 21 carbs)

I just bought Premier Protein again chocolate but I haven't tasted it.  It seems to be a popular choice around here. It has 30g or protein, 160 cal & 5 carbs.

The Premier is the much better choice all around or numbers.  I only hope it tastes good too!

KrissyMisssy
on 11/16/13 8:46 am - TN
VSG on 12/02/13

Thank, I'll definitely look into premier. Have you found anywhere that runs it on sale or carries it at a good price? I'm always looking for a bargain :) 

(deactivated member)
on 11/16/13 9:06 am - Canada

Premier is sold at Costco.  18 pack was $25 Canadian.  Not sure where your from so will probably be cheaper in the USA.

KrissyMisssy
on 11/16/13 4:06 pm - TN
VSG on 12/02/13

Sorry, I didn't even notice you're in Canada. But we just got our first Costco not too long ago, so I'll check there next time I go. Thanks!

Bufflehead
on 11/16/13 6:36 am, edited 11/16/13 6:37 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

My favorite brands are:

Unjury (unjury.com) - chocolate splendor & vanilla. Also used a lot of the chicken broth flavor in the first month after surgery.

Syntrax Matrix - milk chocolate, peanut butter cookie, orange cream and banana cream are my favorites but they have lots of good ones. You can order samples from http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/protein-powders/protein -powder-samples-1-serving.html hint - if you are planning to try samples pre-surgery, order at least two samples of any flavor you are interested in. What you like before surgery may have no correlation to what you like after surgery. Make sure you sample something after surgery before committing to a big tub of it.

Syntrax Nectar - most of these flavors are good mixed with ice water and give you a lighter taste which is especially nice after surgery. My favorites of their flavors are roadside lemonade, fuzzy navel, lemon tea, and twisted cherry. Again, you can get samples from the Nashua Nutrition link above.

Optimum Nutrition Elite Gold Standard Whey - http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/100-whey-gold-stand ard-p-201.html or you can buy from Amazon and other places. They have tons of great flavors. I think their Vanilla Ice Cream is the best vanilla protein powder I have tried. I haven't tried all of their flavors but the ones I have (Caramel Toffee Fudge, Chocolate Mint, & Strawberry Banana) were all really good.

Chike - I have one of their iced protein coffees every morning. I make mine with 1 scoop Chike coffee protein powder + 1 teaspoon instant espresso. You can get a sample pack or individual packets from http://www.chikenutrition.com/buy-chike.html - but I use only half a serving of their products just because they are higher calorie and carb than I like. But so good! I love their Banana Magic flavor too.

Good luck to you!

KrissyMisssy
on 11/16/13 8:48 am - TN
VSG on 12/02/13

What great info! I will look into these and hopefully I will find something that works well for me both now and hopefully something will appeal to me after surgery, as well. I appreciate all the help!

Most Active