any advice ...

megsmatilda
on 11/14/13 9:19 am
Hey my surgery date is almost here!!! Yay! Is there any advice you wanna give me about what to pack...what I should do the.night before ...the day of surgery? Etc. Am I being silly for getting excited about wls? I've been overweight majority of my life and I just want to be healthy! I work with special needs kids and I wanna be able to.enjoy getting on.the.floor with them and help them do their P.E. special without being too tired before its finished! Sorry for.my rambling! (:
JAlston
on 11/14/13 9:30 am
VSG on 12/07/12

I was very excited! Best of luck to you!

I brought my phone, charger, contact holder, toothbrush/paste and biotene moistening mouth spray (which didnt help at all), the hospital provided everything else.

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

megsmatilda
on 11/14/13 9:33 am

I've  seen lots of posts about mouth sprays...why?   Do our breath really change???

JAlston
on 11/14/13 10:28 am
VSG on 12/07/12

Your mouth is very dry after surgery and you aren't allowed to drink for like 12-24 hours...something crazy...LOL. They give you a wet sponge on a stick...that will be your best friend. The spray was good because my mouth tasted yucky.

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

(deactivated member)
on 11/14/13 9:34 am - Canada

My nurse reminded me to pack my jammies...you don't have to wear theirs (she said)  :)

pdtmd501
on 11/14/13 9:57 am

chapstick....

SURGERY WITH DR. PLEATMAN--05/30/13       

HW:303    SW: 299   GW:  180

alicia0206
on 11/14/13 11:45 am

Well first of all I just had surgery on Tuesday the 12th and I am at home right now righting this... 

You want to take chap stick! 

If you have a favorite pillow take it with you... I have a body pillow I took with and I loved it. 

I took magazines and stuff to do but really I just slept the whole time. 

Prepare yourself for the worst pain of your life, I regretted surgery as soon as I woke up in recovery, it was so unamanaglable, hopefully you don't expereince the pain like i did. 

No it's not silly to be excited... I was excited all the way until I had to say goodbye to my family. 

Good luck. 

min2758
on 11/15/13 3:34 am - Boise, ID

Same here- surgery on the 12th and now I'm at home but the pain was unbearable.  I didn't use most of the stuff I brought- couldn't wear my robe because of the iv in my hand, didn't need my slippers since they gave me non slip warm socks, but I did use my chapstick and phone charger!  I brought a laptop but I was too out of it with pain and nausea meds to use it.  The hospital gave me a toothbrush and toothpaste; brushing my teeth often really helped with the nasty tasting dry mouth.  I brought comfortable clothes but it was hard to go to the bathroom and take them on and off so I just wore the stupid granny gown.  I couldn't wait to get out of there.

(deactivated member)
on 11/15/13 5:11 am
RNY on 03/10/14

For me I was happy to wear their gown (in case of seepage on blood draws from wounds, etc) but the one thing I brought that I was happy about was a couple pairs of leggings to wear under the gown. You will want to walk as much as possible as soon as possible. Holding your IV pole AND trying to keep your gown closed can be trying. The leggings made my life easier. I also froze after surgery so the leggings stayed on, even when I was in bed. Good luck with your surgery!

joatsaint
on 11/15/13 8:50 am - TX

All I brought was my clothes and bathrobe, the hospital supplied everything else. I was only going to be there over night, so I wasn't expecting to need much. The only thing I really missed was my favorite pillows.

Free ebook - The Top 10 Weight Loss Surgery Fears and How to Kick Their Butt!

Check out my Youtube channel where I answer your Most Frequently Asked Questions.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Frankensleeve/videos

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 286 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 337 views