I've made my decision!

pugmadkate
on 11/19/13 7:05 am

I'm going to have a VSG!  I originally came to these boards a few months ago completely confused about whether or not to have weight loss surgery.  After reading here for a few months, reading books, going to support groups, nutrition classes, having all my pre-op lab work done and meeting one of my possible doctors, I'm in!  It's a relief to finally make a decision.  Now I'm just hoping that I can be scheduled in for the winter break (I'm in graduate school) or I will have to wait for June.  I really do not want to wait that long.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and feelings here, it's already made a positive difference in my life!

TexasTerritory
on 11/19/13 7:35 am
VSG on 07/22/13
Great decision! I love my sleeve. Good luck.

pugmadkate
on 11/19/13 7:52 am

Thank you!  I'm in Texas, too.  I'm going to be having my surgery at Brooks Army Hospital as my husband is retired military.  I'd love to hear from anyone else who had theirs done at a military facility. 

mickeymantle
on 11/19/13 7:57 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

a lot depends on insurance requirements some require 6 month of supervised dieting , and depending on the tests your surgeon requires , I needed a stress test , sleep study,endoscope, blood labs repeated a few times and oked by a hematologist (some things where nor quite normal)  It is better to wait and do everything right , people that have to work for it seem to do better after the surgery and some self pays that are rushed in with little or no pre op testing and classes , this is a life long journey a few more months will not hurt and you will have longer to heal during the summer , most people need 2 weeks till there rady to go back to work and some even more

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

pugmadkate
on 11/19/13 8:24 am

MM, Thank you for your kind reply.  I've actually been in the process about three months.  I've had my upper GI done, lab work, gone to two support groups and three nutrition classes.  I just went through the process undecided if I would actually have the surgery.  So, while my decision is new, my journey has been going on for a few months now.  Luckily, my insurance does not require the six months supervised diet.  Hopefully, I"ll be scheduled soon!

SophieNJ
on 11/19/13 9:16 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

Congrats!  I hope you have a smooth journey!  this site is the best for encouragement, support, questions, etc.

Sophie

themexcellentone
on 11/19/13 12:58 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Yay!  Congratulations!  You will be glad you did.  :)

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

JennyLove
on 11/19/13 4:13 pm - Douglasville , GA

Hey! I'm so happy for you! I just had my sleeve done two days ago. I remember people writing that they were two weeks post op and I thought, I wondered  if that time will ever come for me. Time is such a weird thing, how it drags on forever and passes by so quickly at the same time. So, before you know it, you will be sitting here saying, "I just got sleeved." Good luck to you and warm wishes!

kimk21w
on 11/20/13 12:33 am

Congrats on making a difficult decision!  Sounds like we're one in the same...I've been debating since September and still am up in the air??  been to surgeon, nutritionist, psychologist, group meetings....still scared to decide.  what made you finally decide to jump in ?

pugmadkate
on 11/20/13 8:41 am

Thanks, all, for the well wishes!

Kim, It's been a long process but to tell you the truth I was sitting in my nutrition class yesterday and I just had a feeling; a very positive and clear feeling that I was going to do the surgery.  Being on the fence is exhausting, so I'm glad to finally decide but I cannot really pinpoint what happened.  I just knew.  I hope the same happens for you soon, either way.

Kate

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 49 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 49 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 215 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 298 views