Depression and WLS

Calaska
on 11/22/13 4:01 pm - AK
VSG on 08/18/14

I am still doing my research to help me decide if WLS is right for me.  Can depression and WLS co-exist?  I have been on depression meds for a long time. Will they still be effective with the gastric sleeve?  Also, sometimes I feel that being constantly diligent in what I eat, tracking meals, etc., actually helps bring on bouts of depression.  It just emotionally  wears me out. It can just be so overwhelming, but I know that is what I need to do to be successful.  I know I will continue to need to see my therapist from time to time, but I'm worried that if I have the surgery, my depression will get worse.  Am I on the wrong track?

mkvand
on 11/22/13 5:21 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

Yes, depression and weight loss surgery can absolutely co-exist.  You will have to make sure to have regular follow ups with your therapist and your doctor, because as your weight changes they will probably need to adjust your dosage for your anti-depressants.  If you're on extended release meds, they may need to change as well--depends on the med.  Also, mood swings are common after WLS, so don't be surprised if they happen.  It's the combination of adjusting to an entirely new way of eating and the your body releasing the hormones that were stored in your fat cells. 

I think (I'm pre-op, so I can't speak from personal experience) tracking meals will actually be less emotionally wearing after surgery because there is less to track, and the restriction of the sleeve will make it easier to eat the way you're supposed to.  It's harder to overeat when you can only hold about four ounces (but not impossible, which is why you still need to track).

TexasTerritory
on 11/22/13 6:43 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
I am four months out and I take my depression meds without any problems. I feel great. I love keeping track of my meals with MyFitneesPal. I like meeting my goals regarding protein, carbs and water. Food is only fuel for my body and brain. I think any emotional attachment to food would need to be addressed with therapy. My depression was never related to food issues but simply a chemical brain imbalance that I inherited; hence, I cannot speak to bouts of depression related to food. I do believe that I am much healthier with my WLS. Honestly, your comment about diligently tracking your food intake concerns me. It seems that you have a lot to think about before making your decision. Perhaps therapy prior to deciding would benefit you. I wish you only the best.

happyteacher
on 11/22/13 8:07 pm

Prior to surgery I was in a pretty dark place.  I was not clinically diagnosed for depression nor ever on medication on any form, but nonetheless feeling pretty darn hopeless.  The surgical process entirely changed that emotional pattern for me.  Initially, it was difficult working on the preop diet and feeling like I was not successfully at it, but I forced myself to acknowledge the areas I did improve in instead of focusing on the fact I was not losing weight despite doing everything "right".  For example, during the first month I did not lose despite eating 1200 calories and exercising- but, I focused on the fact that I did not gain.  The next month I celebrated the little bit of weight I did lose, and took time to appreciate that my eating habits were improving and it was easier to stay away from junk food (not easy mind you, just easier).  Post op is where I was exceedingly mindful of small improvements and took the time to also appreciate all of the support around me.  My marriage strengthened (it was already very good), physically as my diet cleaned up to a mostly perfect eating pattern, and the weight started coming off I was feeling great.  The increase in exercise also really helped.  I can't promise you that depression will not be an issue for you, but the surgery process in my humble opinion could be a powerful tool to help. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 166 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 442 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 463 views