Steroids

msmetha
on 11/24/13 2:14 pm - MO

I have a adrenal deficiency that requires me to take steroids for the rest of my life.  I stopped taking them after my surgery 8 months ago.  Now I have to get back on them because my body is at risk of going to an adrenal crisis.  I am so scared they are gonna make me gain weight. Has anyone taking steroids or still taking them since surgery?  Did you gain weight?

(deactivated member)
on 11/24/13 3:01 pm - NV
VSG on 11/04/13

It really depends on the dose you are prescribed.  When used for adrenal insufficiency it should be a physiologic dose. This is supposed to simulate the normal amount of circulating steroid.  If the dose is managed correctly there should be little to no noticeable side effects. Sadly, medicine is not an exact science and we can never perfectly simulate the normal function of the adrenal gland but we get closer every day.  Make sure to express your concerns to your doctor.  Ask what sort of subtle signs you should be aware of to indicate your dose is too high so that you can communicate them before a bigger problem develops.

Deckeriv
on 11/24/13 9:13 pm - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

I take steroids for the same thing and as long as your dose is monitored through your blood work, it doesn't cause any problems. You would probably have more trouble controlling your weight by not taking it. You will also feel better and are more likely to exercise so be sure to take it.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

acbbrown
on 11/25/13 12:30 am - Granada Hills, CA

Ive had some hefty doses of steroids lately and Im gaining weight....Im also eating enough to gain weight, so it's not really a mystery. But, I do have the round face going on.....blahhhh. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Hislady
on 11/25/13 1:44 am - Vancouver, WA

I've been on 30 mg for several months now (I have an empty lap band) for my lungs and have actually lost weight without even trying. I still eat high protein and low carb in the same amounts as before. I think part of the "trick" is to realize just because they make us feel hungry doesn't mean we have to eat or eat calorie heavy foods. I will retain fluids easily and have to take diuretics but I don't count that and just have to accept it as part of the deal. All you can do is the best you can and make good choices. 

happyteacher
on 11/25/13 7:24 am

I had periods where I took prednisone.  There was a noticeable increase in calories, but it was manageable with a little extra exercise or changing to lower calorie food options.  Hard for me to tell how much was the prescription and how much was emotional eating- in the few instances the prescription was a result of cancer issues and that is a struggle to keep the emotional eating at bay. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views