So the question is: where does the fight begin?

G5x5
on 11/25/13 9:46 am - VA

This is a follow-up to the earlier post about goals.  In the message there's talk of the last 10-20 pounds being the hardest.  But that's the rub, where do those 10-20 pounds begin?

in the case of someone who excepts the conservative goals, the should be easy with enough time.  Since a conservative goal is leaving fat on the table, it should be easier to obtain goal.

For those with more aggressive goals, how do you decide where the last 10-20 are?  Many of us set our original goals to reach normal BMI.  Often just because and with no other thought.   But I know in my case that normal BMI spans a range of 40 pounds from 116 to 156.  I know the low end is out of the question, but going into it who is to say 155 is the correct end spot and not 145?

This was just a thought.

For me, at this point, I've shifted to body fat percentage as the definition.  As long as my lean body mass doesn't drop, but the body fat percentage does, I figure there room for progress.  I know the weight will follow at it's own pace and that's fine with me.  I look in the mirror, and see the percentage on my scale, and I know the 10 pounds I need for goal are there.  The magic question for me is what then?  Well, I guess I'll reevaluate the goal in light of the fat percentage at that time.  When it says there's no room for more I suppose I'll have a cookie to celebrate and plan for the rest of my (much happier) life.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

mkvand
on 11/25/13 7:08 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I wonder, can any of us really know where our final goal is before we get there?  From what I've read, some people pick goals based on BMI, others on body fat, others on weights they've been happy at before, but there are so many variables I'm not sure it's possible to know.  I see a lot of goal posts on here, and some are people saying they're at goal but going to lose more, others are people saying they didn't get to their original number but are starting to look skeletal.  I have a tentative goal in mind, but I can't say for sure it's my final goal because I'm not there yet.  Heck, I've barely started. 

howarli
on 11/25/13 11:27 pm - MD

I set my goal on the lowest adult weight and added 20lbs since I'm no longer a spring chicken.  I'm still about 10 lbs from that number, but If I can maintain this weight and continue the lifestyle that I'm loving right now then I will have had my cake and ate it too.

Cindi A.
on 11/28/13 11:43 am - Vancouver, Canada
VSG on 11/26/12

It IS a hard thing to gauge, and no one can tell you what the right answer is for you. I think our bodies have their own ideas. I am still about 20-25 pounds from my supposed ideal weight, but suddenly my scale has stopped moving and I am suffering from signs that my calorie intake is too low. Maybe my body is deciding for me?

centurycard     

Surg: Nov. 26/12 1st Goal: Lose 100lbs Reached Feb. 14/14 New Goal: 135lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 67 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 252 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 319 views