Breast Cancer Surviver and VSG

bobo_mom
on 11/25/13 9:30 pm

Hello Everyone!  I am a Breast Cancer Surviver and am looking forward to getting my VSG in sometime next summer (after I meet all my pre-requisites).  Are any of you breast cancer survivors that have had the VSG and how do you manage to get all the healthy food intake to help make sure you stay in good shape and hopefully ward off a recurrance?  I know I sound paranoid, but that is a worry of mine.

(deactivated member)
on 11/25/13 11:35 pm - Canada

Congratulations on your decision to have WLS and on beating breast cancer!  I'm not sure of the answer to your question but I would imagine that the supplementation would have a lot to do with that.  I really just wanted to say welcome and way to go!

Kathy8429
on 11/26/13 5:17 am

I'm a breast cancer survivor. I had a VSG 3 months ago. I'm not sure what healthy food intake you're talking about but I know obesity is a huge trigger for recurrance. My cancer was very estrogen sensitive and fat cells are full of estrogen. 

happyteacher
on 11/26/13 6:59 am

I am a cancer patient, but not breast cancer.  I am considered very high risk for breast cancer, and at the moment take Tomaxifen to help ward it off.  My oncologist indicated in no uncertain terms that the number one thing I could do to lower my risk was to lose all that weight.  I know all cancers are different, all folks different medical profiles and such so take it anecdotally. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

cece58
on 11/26/13 11:32 am - CA

I am 61 years old (sounds so old) and had stage 2 breast cancer at age 36. I have never in my life been healthier. I am 3 years out from  VSG surgery. When I was first diagnosed with BC I was told that my being overweight contributed to it. Of course, that was just salt in the wound, so to speak. Here I find out that I have cancer that has already spread, I have two young children and am being told that it is basically my fault.  After chemo, radiation and 7 surgeries, I have survived 25 years cancer free. It is easy to eat healthy and my labs are just beautiful. I think you will do just fine and you will realize that having this surgery will be really beneficial long term. 

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

bobo_mom
on 11/26/13 9:04 pm

Thank you so much for your replys everyone.  I guess I was worried about getting all the fruits and veggies in to make a balanced diet, but it sounds like the VSG is a very good thing for me to go forward with.  I am very excited to know that I have some sister survivors on the board and really look forward to the day I can post some encouraging words to others!  Thanks!!