Hair Loss question....

kellied77
on 11/30/13 1:11 am

How many MCGs are you taking daily for hair loss?

"The things we fear are undefeatable, not by their nature, but by our approach"

VSG on April 24, 2013 / 36 years old, 5' 7"  M1:28 M2:11 M3:14 M4:6

Sandy M.
on 11/30/13 1:43 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

MCGs of what?  Biotin?

I wish I could find the article I posted a few months ago, but here's the summary on hair loss and weight loss surgery.

When you have major surgery, especially on your stomach, your body goes into survival mode and shuts off those things that are not necessary to survival.  Hair growth is one of those things.  A couple of months after the surgery, the body sounds the all clear, and hair growth starts up again.  The new hair growth pushes out the old hair, which makes it appear as if you were losing hair, when in reality the new growth is just starting up again.  

Research it yourself, but Biotin has not really shown any positive effects on hair loss.  It might have an effect on the new hair re-growth, but I think the jury is still out on that one.

That being said, what can have an effect after surgery is your protein intake.  Major surgery trauma aside, protein deficiency can cause hair loss, so my recommendation is to focus on the protein intake instead of the Biotin.  Some people never experience hair loss at all - I did for about 2 months, starting at about month 3 after surgery.  But not enough for anyone but me to notice.

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

luvbskts
on 11/30/13 4:34 am

My nurse says to keep the protein in and keep hydrated.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 287 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 338 views