Day 4 Post Op

reader101
on 12/6/13 10:38 am

Hello everyone. I actually went through with the surgery. Day 2 Post op I literally was asking, crying, begging out loud why I had chosen to do this to myself. I think I had a couple things go on. I think anesthesia took longer to wear off on me then most people and the pain pump they had me on played a factor in what went on. I rested the first night ok. The second day I was in terrible pain and terribly sick to my stomach. They brought me the popsicle/jello on a tray and I assumed I should be eating it, so I tried. I was also forcing fluids because I felt like that was "the right thing to do". Well, it was not the right thing for me. I started vomiting and could not stop. I heaved and lurched so much there was some blood. That of course freaked me out, thinking I broke something loose. They repaired a hernia they found so I was worried I tore something there. I was sitting in the wheel chair still lurching when they were trying to wheel me down for the contract study to check for leaks. I knew as much as I got sick I needed to know, so I forced myself down to do it. I got through the test and vomited the contrast back up. I am happy to report the test was all clear. I had a clear path and no leaks. That made me feel a lot better. I stopped taking the pain medicine and they started giving me different nausea medicine. I have read so many people on here say, wait until day three and you will see a turn around and I have to agree with that. I started taking pill tylenol that relieved my pain and helped me get some rest. I was still not "hungry" for popsicle or jello, but the water was going down good. My stomach started making noised and "woke" back up. I never ate the popsicles or jello, but I did eat pudding this morning. They let me go home in the middle of a snow storm. We have 4 wheel drive, making it home was not an issue. I have had some carnation instant sugar free mixed with 1% and 1/4 cup of non fat powdered milk. I have also had some cream soup I added some unflavored protein powder too. I did not drink all the carnation and only had a couple bites of the soup, but I figure I am working up to their request since I am behind a few days.  

I am going to rock this. I am not going to ever regret this like my short term break down on day two.

themexcellentone
on 12/6/13 10:44 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Hang in there!  It sounds like you had a rough start, but trust me, it gets smoother and easier as you get further out. 

Take care of yourself and welcome to the Loser's Bench. :)

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Sandy M.
on 12/6/13 9:07 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Oh sweetie, I so hear you on the vomiting!  I've had several surgeries, and never fail to vomit continuously until I can get off the narcotics.  I've been told by 2 Anesthesiologists that it's probably not the anesthesia I'm reacting to, but the pain meds.  No matter what anti-nausea drugs they'd give me I'd still be sick.  And Zofran sets off a horrible headache which is worse than the surgery pain!  

Sounds like you're the same - once you started on the Tylenol you felt better.  Take it easy now that you're home; take plenty of naps, walk as much as you can (but probably not outside in the snow storm), and sip, sip, sip.  You will rock this thing!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 93 views