Vitamins

Amielea1975
on 12/31/13 2:09 am
VSG on 12/11/13

I was taking a basic chewable and started a true bariatric vitamin yesterday. I feel terrible when I take them. Really the only time I feel bad. I have to choke them down. Anybody else feel this way? Any suggestions?

thanks!

LosingSarah
on 12/31/13 2:34 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

Is it a chewable? Like Bariatric Advantage?  If so, I had to take them the first month post op & HATED them. They made me sick to my stomach and get a short lived headache. Now I'm on a crazy regimen that consists of mostly tablets that I can only take if I break in half and with shakes or tea with soy milk will allow me to get them down without gagging.

My morning vitamins: 

• 21st Century Mega Multi for Women - tablet
  • Calcium Citrate - tablet
  • Vitamin D - gel caps (thankfully these are small & easy to get down)
  • Magnesium - tablet
  • Vitamin B12 - gummy
  • Prilosec - also small and easy to get down

My evening vitamins:

• 21st Century Mega Multi for Women
  • Calcium Citrate
  • Iron - small, but a terrible aftertaste
  • Prilosec

How do you take them? Honestly, for me, they really are easier to get down with my protein shake.  Good luck, and OH, it was more difficult in the first month and is much easier now. So, the further out from surgery you are the easier it is to swallow. I imagine that after taking all this for years it will just be the norm.

mkvand
on 12/31/13 5:28 am
VSG on 01/06/14 with

FYI, calcium interferes with the absorbtion of iron.  You might want to move your iron to mid-day, since you take calcium both morning and night.

VSG 1/6/14 with Dr. Alvarez

LosingSarah
on 12/31/13 6:01 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

I actually do take it mid-day because of that. The regimen is just how my doc sets it up on paper.

Amielea1975
on 12/31/13 2:36 am
VSG on 12/11/13

I am taking bariatric advantage and celebrate (calcium). They are terrible, and I dread taking them. It truly is the only time I feel like I might vomit.

Amielea1975
on 12/31/13 2:38 am
VSG on 12/11/13

All chewable... I was taking a chewable like Flinstones with no issues. Now wondering if I could take more of those and skip the bariatric...

LosingSarah
on 12/31/13 2:47 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

My doc and most folks on here will say kids vitamins are an absolute no-no, but I know all docs have a different plan.  For example, I am supposed to specifically take 21st Century Mega Multi for Women brand & variety. All his patients, including men have to. His reason is because of the quality & quantity of the B vitamins in it among other things.

Kids vitamins don't have the same amounts or content of specific vitamins as adult ones, and especially this early out when we are getting in so little nutrition from actual food our supplements are super important.

Again, do whatever your doctors plan calls for, and it really does get easier with time. I'm only 2.5 months out and I can take them without issue with the shakes or my herbal tea with soy milk. It's annoying to have to take so many, but I don't gag, which is a huge step up from not too long ago. Also, I envy that your vitamin plan isn't as intense as mine! ;)

cappy11448
on 12/31/13 2:50 am

I found the Bariatric fusions were too sweet and my tummy would not tolerate them.  So my Nutritionist suggested crushing them and mixing them with a little plain greek yogurt.  I found I really liked the smooth, sweet treat every morning and evening, and I've continued doing this.  I also add protein powder to the mix to get my protein numbers up when they are a little low.

Good luck with your recovery.  It takes a little time to figure out how to feed the "beast". (smile). But you'll get there.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Amielea1975
on 12/31/13 3:03 am
VSG on 12/11/13

He wants me on a good vitamin and my NUT suggested bariatric advantage. I am able to take any vitamin as long as it is chewable. He would not suggest Flinstones, but I wasn't cleared until yesterday to start. 

DanielaGiron
on 12/31/13 6:39 am - Canada
VSG on 12/09/13

I did not know about the iron and calcium citrate!! I've been taking them together since day 4 and I'm on day 22!! Geeez you would think they'd let you know...

i take in the morning

1 centrum extra strength

2 calcium citrate tablet

1 iron

2 b12

plus 1 for the acid and 2 for high tension..

night:

2 calcium citrate

1 Iron

ill talk to my pharmacists about my schedule...

thanks

lol ps... I always feel sick after taking them they just feel like they are stuck for hours... 

Most Active