Hair loss

Riomama
on 1/5/14 10:29 am
VSG on 08/20/13

I am dealing with increasing hair loss, each day the shedding from the root seems to be increasing more.  I think it's my protein intake... Any thoughts or similar experiences?  Also please tell me what to do that will decrease or stop my hair shedding!  :-(

Menchi
on 1/5/14 12:23 pm, edited 1/5/14 12:47 pm
VSG on 09/11/13

When I was keeping up I did not shed as much but my protein shake source changed and I could no longer drink it.  I let it fall, I have just started trying to keep it up and things are getting better.  I got a nutrition tracker on my phone but you can use the one on this site.  I try to keep my protein above 50g the program My Fitness Pal will give you ideal levels of nutrients, it recommends 65g of protein a day.  Finding a good protein source is difficult, I would recommend looking at Nectar Medical - Natural Whey Protein Isolate (unflavored), if you mix it well you can't taste it, it will thicken the liquid and you can't put it in hot liquids but it is a good start.  Mioplex's French Vanilla 42g drinks are okay, they are almost pudding thick and I have to mix it with half a cup of some other liquid**** coffee or milk) to drink it but it only has 6g of sugar.  I would start tracking your food because you could also have other deficiencies with as little as we are able to eat.  I am sure I am low on iron intake and that is unsafe but for now the protein will help.  Good Luck

Edit - I did come across this on the site and I am just getting to the better point in the hair loss in her chart so maybe that is why.  I would still track the food you eat and the nutrients you are getting.  

http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/carmelita/blog/tag/vsg+and+hair+loss/

(Pasture Raised Chicken eggs are a great omega 3 souce)

Riomama
on 1/5/14 1:07 pm
VSG on 08/20/13

Thanks Menchi! I think your reply is going to be very helpful.  Also I do need to track my food, all of these things are very important.

Menchi
on 1/5/14 1:12 pm
VSG on 09/11/13

If you can you might also look at a Jawbone up or a fitbit flex, I just got one but I am after the healing period.  I am down right now due to a rolled ankle but I am using some of the apps on my phone to help me get in to shape and keep a close eye on my progress.  Luckily there are a lot of free resources out there now, if you ever want any advice I have tried a few.  :)  

Also the my fitness pal has a barcode scanner, it is really nice to have when enerting food.

themexcellentone
on 1/5/14 1:10 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Depends on what your protein intake is.  I regularly get between 80-100 grams daily and am losing hair like nobody's business.  My doc says it should fully stop in the next 3 months.  My hair loss started at month 3 and is slowing down but not stopping just yet.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Menchi
on 1/5/14 1:19 pm, edited 1/5/14 1:24 pm
VSG on 09/11/13

I would never argue with a doctors advice, so if your doctor has you on that much protein then it muse be what you need but I have read that too high of protein can be very damaging.  The stuff I have read suggest in the 60g-68g range.  The article I posted recommended not to go above 80g, I would just suggest to anyone to try and get a doctors recommendation before you take in a higher then daily average on any nutrient, even vitamin C. 

themexcellentone
on 1/5/14 2:05 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with
My doctor and dietitian both okayed that level of protein for me. Many folks here adhere to the same quantities. I also drink roughly a gallon of water each day and have routine labs run. Every body responds differently, and mine didn't drop weight very well on lower amounts of protein.
Menchi
on 1/5/14 2:14 pm, edited 1/5/14 2:14 pm
VSG on 09/11/13
I figured at that level you probably have medical support, also you water intake is a large part of your diet. It is just the worry wart in me wanting to make sure that people work with a doctor before just doing one part of a much larger plan.

Riomama
on 1/10/14 6:40 pm
VSG on 08/20/13

I have a friend who is a year + out and still shedding/ thinning. It's not a fun process... But worth it in other ways!

mulder1921
on 1/6/14 5:13 am - OH

My hair thinned out a lot for about the first 6-7 months after surgery. It was so bad I had to have my shower drain snaked twice!  I took Biotin as a supplement and I think it helped.  Now, 2 years after surgery my hair is fuller than it ever was ( and now curly, which is strange).

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 162 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 434 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 456 views