Do People Treat you Diffrently now?

Curvy_Chic76
on 1/6/14 11:14 pm - PORT ELGIN, Canada

One of the interestng questions posed by a fellow WLS orientation person to a "mentor VSG'er" in the clinic I attended. 

She couldn't really answer the question- however I thought I'd throw it out here.

Do people treat you differently now that you have lost weight - new people in your life and already established relationships? 

Or is it you that has changed as a result - and feel better about yourself aloowing oters to pick up on your positive energy ? 

Thanks so much! 

Tracy D.
on 1/6/14 11:31 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I had to really think about this one because I let a lot of this stuff just slide off my back.  I've had a couple family members/friends behave with a bit of jealousy because they are bigger than me now.  With the rest of my family and friends though I haven't noticed a big difference in how they treat me.   The major difference I've noticed is in my work relationships.  At my prior place of employment, I sensed a general air of more respect; people listened closer to me, sought me out more, etc.  I changed jobs a month ago so nobody here knew me as the "fat lady". 

I think too that I have changed as a result of the big weight loss.  I'm much more confident, more willing to put myself out there, happier in general...and I do think that people pick up on that. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

happyteacher
on 1/6/14 11:34 pm

Both-

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 1/7/14 5:11 am

I think it is both also.

Jackie T.
on 1/6/14 11:46 pm - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Yes!  I have an uncle (my aunt's second husband) who has never given me the time of day and actually is a jerk most of the time.  He was a cop and prejudice, yada, yada, yada.......Now every time he sees me, he gives me this big smile, calls me skinny and actually talks to me.

Those who I was close to treat me as they always have.  People who haven't seen me in a while are always commenting on how much I have changed.  I am sure that I am a little more outgoing since I lost the weight but I still struggle to put myself out there.  I don't have the fat to hide behind anymore so I feel more vulnerable.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

(deactivated member)
on 1/7/14 5:23 am

I think it is horrible that he talks to you know like you were not worthy of talking to.It is funny you wrote I don't have my fat to hide behind.I was thinking that the other day even though I am still at 239 lbs but it is better than 322 that I was three years ago I did hide behind my fat.I was loud and tried to be funny all the time.Now when people give me compliments I have a hard time excepting  them  I feel very vulnerable. What do you do now that he talks to you?

sillymilly
on 1/6/14 11:54 pm - NC
VSG on 07/17/13

I think it's a combination of both. People seem more willing to talk to me, but then again my self-confidence has improved and so I feel that I am more open to talking to people.  I definitely smile more, and that makes me more approachable.  

Highest weight:  287    Surgery weight:  279   Current weight:  150

cheryls222
on 1/7/14 1:03 am - Bothell, WA
VSG on 09/12/13

Interesting question.  I had to think hard about it.  My close friends and family treat me the same.  

I started to notice that strangers treat me different.  Just enough to make me go ...hummmm.  Opening doors, smiling at me and such.

I was wonder if I am really seeing this or is it my imagination?

Starting W: 320  Surgery W (9/12/13): 279.8.

sifford1
on 1/7/14 3:15 am

yes,,,all the way!  people that know me are openly jealous, and then there are those that are overly supportive till you start loosing too much and then it turns into " stop loosing so much"  or " your not gon'na have a butt left"... Strangers are giving me so much attention.  I can answer that one for sure because i used to be skinny, then i got big and people treated me different, not as charming and warm.  people just would look in my direction,,,, now that i am getting thinner, strangers don't just look they stair at me and have conversations.  Its a mixed of good and negative.  I missed the way people talked to me when i was skinny, people are usually warmer and cheery the thinner you are.. I know that sounds vain and terrible, but its true, at least from what i noticed from a female standpoint.

Bufflehead
on 1/7/14 5:05 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

It's very well documented that obese people suffer discrimination in education, the job market, and more - and that is based on lots of studies, including studies where they do things like have people decide who to hire based on a resume and a picture of an obese person and a normal-weight person. The files with pictures of obese people were rated much less qualified for a job than the same file with the picture of a normal weight person. So no, I don't think it is your imagination - nor do I buy into the "obese people aren't discriminated against, everyone just treats them bad because they have poor self esteem" argument (I know you didn't make that argument, but I see other people do it here and it's so frustrating for me to see self-blame and victim-blame going on here of all places).

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views