Dry skin

Amielea1975
on 1/8/14 11:37 am
VSG on 12/11/13

I have always had dry skin, but have been able to keep it under control with good lotion and gentle soap. After surgery my skin is terrible- so flakey that if I wear dark pants you can see it on them when I take them off. Not only is it gross, but it feels terrible too. My face feels like it is going to crack open. This has never been a problem before. Any suggestions? I know this is probably TMI, but it is painful and burns. It is all over, not just localized to one area. My face is actually a little embarrassing... Thank goodness for long sleeves and pants!

(deactivated member)
on 1/8/14 11:53 am - Canada

Every since I moved to the prairies my skin has been just as bad.  I use baby oil after I shower but before I dry off.  It really helps and is an inexpensive cure.  As for your face try bio oil you can get it at Walmart.  My facial skin used to crack it would get so dry.  I found the bio oil really helped.

Amielea1975
on 1/8/14 11:58 am
VSG on 12/11/13

I am going to pick some up tomorrow-so ready for relief! Thank you...

Annievvho
on 1/8/14 2:13 pm - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

How much fluid are you getting in? Your body will forgo your skin moisture to keep the insides running smoothly in the event of dehydration. I have in recent years had winter dry skin, especially with as often as I wash my hands, so I have been very careful about getting my recommended water, but I know I'm not doing all I can. So if you aren't getting enough water, work to get that number up and keep it up. 

Anyway, if you ARE getting enough, get some Aquaphor ointment and apply it right after you shower, before drying. Because it's an ointment, it creates a protective shield over your skin that holds moisture in and keeps irritants from rubbing against it. I know my skin does not tolerate friction AT ALL, especially in the cold. With your face, you might try switching to a cream cleanser like ponds or simply using water to wash your face instead of soap. Cleansers strip away the natural oils in your face, and sometimes in the winter our skin stops producing as much oil, so avoiding cleanser for at least half the times you wash will allow your face to retain some of its natural oils.

Good luck!

Tracy D.
on 1/9/14 1:51 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I have super dry skin too, Amie.   I like using organic coconut oil all over, even on my face.  At room temp it's solid but it's gets nice and liquid once it warms up in your hands.  And it leaves my skin feeling great all day.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active