Anti depressants- HELP

Justincortes1
on 1/11/14 1:08 pm

Hey all. So I've had a pretty bad panic attack disorder for about 2 years and my medication is my savior from it. But it's time released. My surgeon said I need to work with my doctor and find something not time released before surgery and I'm terrified. Anyone have this issue too? 

rengirl1978
on 1/11/14 1:34 pm - Denver, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

My anti-depressant has actually made me very, very sick since having my surgery. I scheduled an emergency appt with my psych, and she just took me off of it!! I was shocked, but she says the least medicine to be on the better. She thinks that since I am doing so well after my surgery and very excited and happy that this is a good time that we should try doing it. So far so good! Maybe it won't be so bad for you either? But there are lots and lots of meds you can try. Don't be scared! You will be okay!

Rhiannon VSG 12/18/13 ~ Mo 1 -35lbs ~ Mo 2 -15lbs ~ Mo 3 -13lbs ~ Mo 4 -8lbs ~ Mo 5 -9lbs ~ Mo 6 -6lbs ~ Mo 7 -8lbs

If we all liked the same things, what fun would life be?

DianneMN
on 1/11/14 1:49 pm, edited 1/11/14 1:50 pm
VSG on 02/24/14

I have been on seroquil, both for the hypo mania and anxiety. It's not time released. The drawback.....it can cause increased hunger, but I've been up and I've been down, weight wise, on it. It's a specific dose at night, during the day it's PRN.

I know I'll be having the same discussion on Wed with my surgeon who wants me to drop either the lamictal or the seroquil. I can't do either at this point. I've come too far in managing my bipolar.

Avoid any drastic changes. I've tapered off a med & then it sneaks up on me like a wall. It hasn't been pleasant. Do take care of yourself.

Good luck to you!

HW 310 prior to WLS decision; 301 11/2013; Pre Op 274 on 2/24/2014; CW 233

TexasTerritory
on 1/11/14 3:44 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
Follow your doctor's advice but I am still taking my time released meds without any problem. As I lose weight, I am having my meds checked for possible reduction in dosage. I resumed my time released meds the day of surgery. I have been able to manage my panic attacks perfectly. Perhaps it depends upon what meds one takes. Just sharing my experience. Good luck to you.

JennyBee
on 1/11/14 4:45 pm

I'm going through a related issue with my anti-D. One option your doc may suggest is taking a non-extended release version a couple of times a day instead. My doc is having me crush my tabs to improve absorption.

staceyp1105
on 1/11/14 10:26 pm - Arvada, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

I take Zoloft for anxiety...no changes to it pre or post op and I've been fine

rengirl1978
on 1/12/14 1:31 pm - Denver, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

Stacey, that is exactly what I took! But it tore up my sleeve. :-(

staceyp1105
on 1/12/14 9:15 pm - Arvada, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

How do you know that?  Now I'm nervous

benevola
on 1/11/14 10:42 pm - Des Moines, WA
VSG on 07/17/13

I was on time-release Wellbutrin and had to switch to the non-time release pills. I went from taking one pill per day to taking 3, but I figure I can deal if it means I'm not depressed. 

wendyred
on 1/11/14 11:40 pm
I am in the same boat. I am working with my psych dr because crushing a time released pill is not an option. I am going to have to wean off the one that really works, Prestiq,to a med that sort of works, Prozac. I start next week tapering one and adding the other until the Prestiq is gone and Prozac can take over. I am having surgery on 2/7. I am nervous about this. Eventually when I get the green light to swallow pills I will cross taper again. I have spoken to my NUT about this and the time released needs acid to break down. So I will have to experiment with when to take it. The longer it can stay in the sleeve the better. Maybe with coffee or tea since the acid will help. (I take omeprazole for acid reflux) I will also have Ataivan for the anxiety, which I expect will increase during this initial phases of this journey. It's scary, but talk with your psych dr, they know the meds and can help you come up with a plan. Some meds come in liquid forms too, even if it's a temporary shift unti this come back to center. A question to ask maybe an increased dose when you get back to time released to make up for the part of the med that is lost....just a thought. Good luck, it will all be okay. Have faith. :)
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 300 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 347 views