Packing for Hospital

momto1boy3girls
on 1/14/14 10:40 am
VSG on 01/16/14

What did you bring with you to the hospital?  What did you wish you had that you didn't bring?  I have my VSG in TWO days (anyone know how to add a surgery date to my profile?  I've looked everywhere) and I don't know what to pack.

VSG with Dr. Atif Iqbal on 01/16/2014 - 5'9" Starting: 305 Pre-Op: -13 Surgery Weight: 292 Current Weight: 206

M1: -26 M2: -14 M3: -11 M4: -11 M5: -10 M6: -9 M7: -11 M8:       

mollz007
on 1/14/14 10:50 am
VSG on 02/20/14

Under 'My OH' go to "health tracker.' Good luck with your surgery. I don't have much advice for things to bring, but I haven't really thought about it much. My surgery is over a month away so I guess I have time to figure it out. You can search for that topic and I'm sure you will find much better advice, lol.kiss

check out my blog!

goleftoklahoma
on 1/15/14 12:12 am
VSG on 01/24/14

Did you get pushed back?  I thought it was in January

mollz007
on 1/15/14 3:24 am
VSG on 02/20/14
Yes it did unfortunately but it wasn't the surgeon it was me because I needed time to get some work stuff figured out

check out my blog!

PrincessPR
on 1/14/14 10:57 am, edited 1/14/14 10:57 am
VSG on 12/17/13

-Chap Stick (in my case I took Burt's Bees)

-My own nightgown for comfort

-Robe for when walking the halls

-Toiletry Kit (I like using my own soap, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, toothbrush, mouthwash, lotion)

-House Slippers for walking the halls

-Phone w/ charger

-iPad but I really didn't use it much

-Glasses if you wear them (you won't feel like messing with contacts)

-Clean undergarments and socks

I wore super comfy clothes to the hosp and wore the same clothes home.

"The good Lord gave you a body that can stand most anything. It’s your mind you have to convince.” ~Vince Lombardi   Join me and help those with cancer!!!

mustlovepoodles
on 1/14/14 11:26 am
VSG on 12/31/13

I didn't bring much because I knew I would be wearing hospital gowns, until the IVs were out. Just my little toiletry bag,some chapstick, some undies, and my fluffy pink bathrobe. Oh, and my BACKSCRATCHER!  OMG~  the pain meds made me itch like nobody's business. In fact, at one point i had a full blown allergic reaction.  Ta da!  IV Benedryl and Mr. Backscratcher to the rescue!

HW: 229 ; SW: 208 (-21);  GW: 125

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

Scott S.
on 1/14/14 11:26 am - TX

I overthought the packing a bit, but ended up wearing out what I wore in.  They will require hospital gowns.  Bring your toiletries.

One item that I learned here was to bring a pillow.  Big life saver at the hospital and even bigger to hold against  your belly during the car ride home.

VSG: 8/8/13 

stratusphr
on 1/14/14 11:29 am - Plano, TX
Most take more than they'll use/need. I never changed out of the hospital gown and they put those little slipper/socks on you, the ones with the rubber on the bottom, before you go into surgery and I kept them on the entire time. No need to change. They said to wear the hospital gown so there is no risk of getting anything on it, so I did. I took shampoo, make up, blow dryer. All the important things. Chap stick, phone and charger. Kindle was a waste, I never turned it on. I took clean panties and I wore TO the hospital what I was going to wear home! Something lose is what i recommend. Have a pillow in the car when you go home to put between your tummy and the seat belt. I took my own pillow from home because I ALWAYS travel with my own pillow.

"Seas The Day"      

Dr. James Davidson - Dallas, TX

Surgery date: June 11, 2010

Goal reached: December 2010

Weight loss: 84 lbs

mickeymantle
on 1/14/14 2:21 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

i didn't bring anything the hospital suppies everything soap shampoo, toothbrush , , wore home what I wore there , my hubby mbrough a tablet buty I did not use it , I used the hospital phone (calls where free)

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Bufflehead
on 1/14/14 6:09 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I wore home the same stuff I wore to the hospital - loose empire waist dress, cotton wire-free bra that fastens in front. I brought a couple changes of undies. The hospital supplies gowns and socks with rubber treads on them. You can use a second gown worn backwards to serve as a robe when you walk the halls. Using the hospital gowns is a lot easier than wearing your own PJ's, robes, etc., particularly if you are going to have IV's, drains, and/or catheters. The hospital gowns are built to let the medical people get at that stuff when they need to.

I brought my phone and charger -- both of which I definitely used -- and my Kindle. I only ended up using the Kindle because my surgeon was running late and I had an extra hour to kill waiting for surgery. If not for that, I would have never touched it. I brought a small amount of toiletries but didn't need them as the hospital supplies everything. When my friend came to pick me up and take me home she brought a pillow for me to use in the car, so I didn't need to take one with me to the hospital. I brought lip balm and that was a definite must!

There was nothing I wished I had. I was so focused on walking, sipping, and dealing with the nurses etc. (it seems like they come in to jab you or take your blood pressure or something every 15 minutes) that I really didn't have time for or care about anything else for those two nights and three days.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views