Hormones and the damn scale

danixbanani
on 1/24/14 2:36 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

I've been meaning to write this post all week but sheesh this week moved by pretty quickly!  Can't believe it's already Friday but I'll take it!

Anyway, the scale still isn't moving...*sigh* but I'm trying not to focus on the scale SO MUCH and instead focus on getting to a healthier me.  I've been hitting the gym pretty regularly and last night I tried a "shred" class for the first time.  It's pretty much a total body workout but incorporating more weights.  I had a barbell and two sets of free weights and we did several different exercises with and without the weights.  My thighs and abs hurt today!  I liked the class and I plan to go back again tomorrow.  I want to work up the courage to take a spin class eek!

So, hormones...this might be a little OT but I remember Elina posting about medication affecting her hormones and I wanted to post my experience.  Word of caution: lots of "lady" talk ahead haha.

I finally decided to stop taking birth control pills.  I've been on them for ten years and I was just done with them.  My husband and I are not *quite* ready to be parents yet so we're using protection.  Anyway, a good friend of mine also decided to come off her pills but also not get pregnant so we're kind of going through it together.  I've been doing a ton of research online and I just cannot believe how badly the pill can affect the female body.  I won't get into all the details but what I've read thus far is pretty nuts and I'm scheduling an appointment with my doctor to discuss.

Most of what I've read is that taking certain supplements and eating "clean" "whole" and "healthy" will help with the side effects of coming off the pill.  Basically, your body's hormones have been suppressed for so long that it's kind of like "WTF" when you come off.  It can take up to three months to a YEAR to get your cycle regulated again.  Well, I came off in mid-December and I was late this month.  For the past two weeks I've felt PMS x 10000.  I've been having cravings, major mood swings, major bloating, and major HUNGER attacks.  I tried to do my best to ignore it all but I can't say I was perfect 100% of the time.  I'm worried about what may happen now that I'm off the pill as my body is trying to regulate itself.  Weight gain is listed as a side effect but I am really going to try my hardest to not let that happen.  I've been making positive moves in the right direction so hopefully that will prevent it.

I plan to start trying to eat more "clean" or "paleo" if at all possible to help my body readjust.  I don't eat very many processed foods except for maybe cheese and every now and then a frozen chicken or veggie burger.  I know it's not easy but I have to try and do it for my own well-being. 

I spoke to my therapist recently about really wanting to lose more weight and she said maybe instead of focusing so much on the numbers on the scale, let's try to focus on getting you more "healthy".  Meaning exercising more, being off the pill, and eating cleaner and making small steps to achieve my ultimate goal of weight loss.  She made the point to say hey you didn't gain 200 lbs in a week and you're not gonna lose it in a week either.  I just wish my scale would budge even a TINY BIT but I will keep on truckin.  I know I can continue to make improvements in the way I eat and exercise and to finally see a result whether it's in inches or pounds.  I feel like the past month has been hard on my body because it doesn't really know wtf is going on so I'm hoping that as time goes on and my body starts to regulate itself that I'll start to see changes and a loss.  We shall see!

I just don't feel a lot of motivation right now, I keep telling myself I gotta keep trying but it is becoming frustrating.  I'm glad to report I'm not gaining any MORE weight but yanno how it goes...cool

This was a bit of a ramble but I find writing posts on here therapeutic lol.  Thanks for listening as always!

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

Shagdoll
on 1/24/14 3:24 am

Hi Danielle,

I hear ya.  I am also trying to focus on eating better and cleaner.  The scale is not really moving down lately so I think I am consuming more on a maintenance level which is something I didn't focus on when I first reached goal.  I just went back to old habits, forgetting that I had to make that lifestyle change, duh!!!  So ... think you and I just need to buckle down a little more. 

I am still not happy where I am at but I took a personal vow to make sure I don't gain more than what I weigh now... so, that means even being down 10 pounds, I won't ever go higher than this.  When I am 20 pounds down, I won't let myself get higher again ... I have to make these little changes or I will go insane.  I am just trying so hard to change my entire outlook on this WL journey.  I cannot be in denial anymore.  I know the weight is not going to magically come off. 

THIS.IS.WHY ... Newbies REALLY need to take advantage of the "honeymoon" period and work that sleeve to the fullest.  It's doable to get weight off after but it's harder like before surgery... no lie!

I seriously feel like I'm trying to lose weight like I did before surgery being 2.5 years out.  Elina does it right ... she goes up a few pounds and gets it off in 2-3 weeks.  That seems more tolerable but for someone like me, it will take months again.  (sigh...)

The pill and being a woman is a royal pain in the ass too.  Not to give excuses but it really is.  I've gotten my 2nd visit from TOM this month ... VISIT #2!!!  WTF!?!?!?  I never know if I am coming or going anymore or if my first visit are true hunger pains or the 2nd or both?!!! surprise

It's cool.  I am just happy to report this gal is making changes as far and seeing the bigger picture and knowing what I have to do and not expecting results to just fall on my lap. 

Vent all you want gurl, that is what we are here for.  I still have complete faith in you to get to goal.  You are determined.  Go get it gurl!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Chrissy W.
on 1/24/14 3:26 am - Indianapolis, IN
VSG on 07/01/13

"...instead of focusing so much on the numbers on the scale, let's try to focus on getting you more "healthy"."

THIS. I needed to hear this today. The scale has been CREEEEEPING for the last almost 2 weeks (ONE POUND? REALLY?) even thought I've been doing just about everything right. It seems that I'm now entering the "final stretch" with only 30 pounds to go until my initial goal, and I'm about to have to start working out... Your words really stand out to me because, even though I'm a LOT thinner, I'm still "out of shape" in that my stamina still stinks and I still tire easily. I've been contemplating starting a Couch25K program... I think you just gave me the push I needed! Thanks, girl!

VSG 7/1/13 with Dr. Jack Rutledge 28 y/o female - 5'10" - HW: 298GW: 174 - SW: 290 (-8) - M1: 262 (-28) - M2: 247 (-15) - M3: 235 (-12) - M4: 228 (-7 ~First Stall: almost 2 wks~) - M5: 218 (-10) - M6: 209 (-9) - M7: 199 (-10) Onederland on 1/31 - M8: 196 (-3) 100 lb total loss on 2/2 - M9: 192.6 (-3.4) - M10: 188.6 (-4) - M11: 182 (-6.6) - M12: 175.6 (-6.4) - M13: 173.8 (-1.8) CW (7/8/15): 167 - GOAL reached in 1 Year and 25 Days! - TOTAL WL - 131 lbs  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 281 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 334 views