Not Enough Weight Loss

Chrissy W.
on 1/28/14 3:46 am - Indianapolis, IN
VSG on 07/01/13

I'm going to agree with Tracy D. on this... REALITY CHECK TIME :)

Look at the numbers in my signature. I lost about the same as you in my first 2 months... I saw my surgeon yesterday and, in my 7th month, he said that I'm doing better than most of his RNY patients do! You're doing FABULOUSLY. Now stop beating yourself up and go buy some new pants! I'm sure yours are probably getting pretty baggy 

VSG 7/1/13 with Dr. Jack Rutledge 28 y/o female - 5'10" - HW: 298GW: 174 - SW: 290 (-8) - M1: 262 (-28) - M2: 247 (-15) - M3: 235 (-12) - M4: 228 (-7 ~First Stall: almost 2 wks~) - M5: 218 (-10) - M6: 209 (-9) - M7: 199 (-10) Onederland on 1/31 - M8: 196 (-3) 100 lb total loss on 2/2 - M9: 192.6 (-3.4) - M10: 188.6 (-4) - M11: 182 (-6.6) - M12: 175.6 (-6.4) - M13: 173.8 (-1.8) CW (7/8/15): 167 - GOAL reached in 1 Year and 25 Days! - TOTAL WL - 131 lbs  

(deactivated member)
on 1/28/14 4:15 am - NV
VSG on 11/04/13

I am so sorry you are struggling with food.  I am only 3 months out so not an expert by any means but I am just curious how much you were expecting to lose in 9 weeks?  45lbs is amazing.  It took me almost 12 weeks to lose that much and I thought I was doing pretty good. If your doctor is concerned about stalls then I would be concerned they don't really know much about their patients.  I doubt there are many people on OH that haven't experienced multiple stalls, especially in the first few months.

I also had a hiatal hernia repair and have not had any problems with food since around week 3-4.  The more you read, the more you realize that hiatal hernia repair is very common and almost typical with bariatric surgery.  I mention this because trouble eating at 9 weeks is something your doctor should be concerned about, not weight loss stalls.  

I know every plan is different with some plans progressing to normal food faster than others.  Does your plan not allow you to eat dense protein at 9 weeks or is it because you are having difficulty with dense protein?

I think you are doing awesome with your weight loss, geez, you're almost half way to your goal in 9 weeks. Maybe altering your expectations will help you appreciate your accomplishment better.

hope123
on 1/28/14 4:26 am - MO

Don't feel bad Stephanie, I'm right there with you (although you sound like you're doing fine).  I'm 3 months post-op, and I also had a hiatal hernia repair.  I am exactly like you, eating is (and was) much harder for me.  Everything hit a brick wall and felt like it was stuck (still does at times too).  I've just recently been able to eat very small amounts of food.  I went from losing about 5 pounds per week when I was on just liquids, to hardly losing anything now.  I only lost 2 pounds per week this last month, and I've been stalled at 187 pounds for almost 4 weeks now, my weight just isn't budging.  I don't know what the problem is.  I asked the dietician at my surgeon's office about it, and she said when you introduce food to your diet you usually get a stall, but for this long?  I'm so frustrated.  I'm only taking in anywhere from 250 to 500 calories per day, and I'm still not losing weight.  Strange.

StephanieJ
on 1/28/14 9:53 am

I'm glad to hear I m not the only one frustrated with this! Although 45 lbs may seem like a lot for 9 weeks, when you are only eating a max of 500 calories a day you would expect more weight loss. I def have a hard time eating solids, I get a bad shoulder pain soon after I ingest the food. I've searched and havent found any info o this happeneing to hernia repair patients. My doc is also at a loss so idk what to make of it at this point.

“Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.” ~Johann von Goethe

hope123
on 1/28/14 10:03 am - MO

What I've been told is everyone heals at a different pace, so to say others who've had a hernia repair and are eating solids at 6 weeks when I'm at 12 weeks doesn't mean anything.  The nurse practitioner who I meet with at my doctor's office told me that it's not normal to not be eating when everyone else eats too, but when I've talked to other patients in this situation (granted, there hasn't been many), or when I've talked to a different doctor, they've assured me that everyone heals at a different rate, so not to worry.  That's all I can do, so I'm trying to be patient.  I wish us both the best!  :-)

StephanieJ
on 1/29/14 1:30 am

Yes, best of luck to us both!!

“Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.” ~Johann von Goethe

hope123
on 1/28/14 4:29 am - MO

One thing I noticed is you indicate on your ticker your highest weight was 218 lbs?  That's overweight, but not highly overweight.  How tall are you?  I'm almost surprised they did weight loss surgery on you.

StephanieJ
on 1/28/14 9:51 am

I'm 5'1 my BMI when I went for my first visit was 42!

hope123
on 1/28/14 10:07 am - MO

Oh okay...don't take this wrong (because it's not meant that way), but you are considered a "light weight" in the weight loss surgery field.  I was 245 lbs on the date of surgery, and they still considered me a "light weight".  Know that when you get in the weight range you are at now, it's going to come off slower.  The lower you get, the harder it is to lose.

edelu
on 1/28/14 7:11 am - los angeles, CA

It seems in 2 months and 8 days you've lost almost half of what you want to lose.  That's stellar.  If you got there by looking at other tickers also look at stating weight.  Your loss is amazing. People looks to get to half their EWL by 6 months.  Celebrate. That's an order

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views