Not Enough Weight Loss

StephanieJ
on 1/28/14 2:25 am

I am 2 months and 8 days post op and I have only lost 45lbs. since surgery. I have dealt with a few stalls, but I am concerned that I am not losing enough. Doc says to get more protein in, which I am but seems not to be helping as much. Due to hiatal hernia repair I am not eating typical of someone 2 months out. I am still on soft foods with my consumption being mainly Greek yogurt, lentils, beans and soups....Any suggestions?

“Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.” ~Johann von Goethe

Tracy D.
on 1/28/14 2:32 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Reality check, please -- who told you that 45 lbs. in 2 months isn't "enough"?  It's damn impressive, frankly.  No suggestions other than quit being so hard on yourself and continue to do what you're doing...it's obviously working!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

StephanieJ
on 1/28/14 2:39 am, edited 1/28/14 2:39 am

Thanks for your kind words. I guess I can be a bit hard on myself, but when I look in the mirror I still see the "big" girl that was at the starting weight...

“Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.” ~Johann von Goethe

SarahI
on 1/28/14 11:51 pm - Indian River, MI
VSG on 03/04/13

I would like to say that is more than what i had lost at 2 months out.  So be proud.  Everybody is different and we all lose differently.  You can't hold yourself to another persons standards.  You are not losing their weight.  Lose at your pace.  Eat your protein at your pace.  Drink your water at your pace..  Slow is better than not at all and it is way better than trying to stuff it all down at once.  The only person who is going to be hard on you is you.  So stop beating yourself up because you are not to par in your mind.  Your mind is what got you into trouble in the first place.  Its time to start clearing your mind and thinking logically.  Take everyday one moment at a time.  Fight the head hunger and the cravings as they come, seek support from your friends and family when you need it and know that you are a strong person.  You can do this.  

SARAH

TexasTerritory
on 1/28/14 2:37 am
VSG on 07/22/13
45 pounds is awesome! I had a large hiatal hernia repaired during my WLS but I had no problems with my diet. Seems you are doing great with your WL.

StephanieJ
on 1/28/14 2:42 am

With the hiatal hernia, it made everything painful to eat. When I try to push myself out of the soft foods and have something with a bit more substance I get the worst shoulder pain...The doc says "it's normal" but I've never heard of anyone else experiencing this. If I can get 1.5 ounces of yogurt down at a time I consider that a success! 

mustlovepoodles
on 1/28/14 11:46 am
VSG on 12/31/13

I had a small hiatal hernia repair and I have had the same left shoulder pain.  I get it if I eat too fast or too much. It's normal, btw. When the diaphragm is irritated, by pain, by pressure, etc. it will cause pain in one or both shoulders. This is called referred pain because you feel pain in a different place than where it actually is.

Oh, and congrats on the weight loss. You're doing great, especially for a lightweight. I have to ask you, when in your lifetime have you ever lost over 40 pounds in two months?

HW: 229 ; SW: 208 (-21);  GW: 125

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

princesswimmer24
on 1/28/14 2:47 am - VA
VSG on 08/05/13

Did your surgeon or NUT tell you they weren't happy with your current weight loss? I mean I would've killed to lose that much at 2 months. I really thinking you are putting wayyy too much pressure on yourself. We all lose at different rates and to be quite honest as long as I'm still losing I'm happy. Because I definitely wasn't losing before the surgery.

StephanieJ
on 1/28/14 2:55 am

You're absolutely right, pre-op I wasn't losing an ounce! I spoke to my doc about the stalls I was having and she was concerned. She just suggested more protein intake...

StephanieJ
on 1/28/14 2:55 am

You're absolutely right, pre-op I wasn't losing an ounce! I spoke to my doc about the stalls I was having and she was concerned. She just suggested more protein intake...

Most Active