Post VSG Life

jubjub
on 2/3/14 10:15 am - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

Hello from Palm Springs...

I'm 18 months post VSG at this point, and about 13 months since hitting goal.

My life has been quite transformed.  I'm now involved with a group of athletes who take biking trips around the country.  This week is dedicated to 7 days of cycling, ending with the 100 mile Tour de Palm Springs (they're expecting 10,000 riders!).

Obviously, prior to VSG, this would not have been possible.  I took up cycling a few months after surgery because it was low-impact, I could start slowly, and when I was a kid, I lived on a bike... I figured maybe I could find that same joy again.  I did.  I reached out, found a coach, found a class, found like-minded folks and started socializing with them.  I rebuilt my social network with active people.

Now I'm in Palm Springs with 30-40 people from Minnesota escaping winter - and riding with the local cycling club.  These are hard rides - today's was 86 miles... according to my cycling computer/power meter I burned almost 3,000 calories.  

The lesson in all this for me is to find some activities you like - use that to build a group of people to do those activities with, and enjoy the heck out of it all!  Maintenance isn't only about food-restriction (though that's part of it...) you can use your new body to do marvelous things!

I'm amazed every day at what I'm able to do in a short 18 months.  

Here we are sharing a post-ride coffee in La Quinta, CA... I'm the bald-guy, standing in the middle.  You'd never know that 18 months ago I weighed 295... and it really isn't important anymore.  What's important is having FUN with the way I am NOW.

Photo: Day 2 of Palm Springs bike week. 86 miles, tough pace, hard ride. Heading back to the hot tub! :-)

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

EmmyK
on 2/3/14 10:29 am - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

You found your tribe!  Way to go.  So inspiring!

My posts are for general information and do not constitute medical advice.  They should not serve as the basis for any medical decision by you.  Call your physician for advice.  HW 248  SW 233  CW 155

Spencerella
on 2/3/14 10:57 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Tom I swear you're an unending source of inspiration for me!  

I really get what you say about finding something you like. I've never found my inner gym rat, but I had enjoyed running earlier in my life. Interestingly, I always saw myself as a runner who didn't run. How's that for in congruence?  But no more. I reconnected with my running self right around the time I reached goal and I've never looked back. 

Lookin' good, friend!

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

jubjub
on 2/3/14 12:38 pm - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

It's amazing when you find that "thing" isn't it?  What I'm really enjoying is the camaraderie.  It's one thing to "work out." It's another to find a "community" that supports you and helps you stay on track.  It wouldn't be the joy it is, without finding like minded individuals to do it with.

I have to say, the cycling community seems completely welcoming!  Today we were doing a serious "pace line" with about 20 cyclists in a row, coordinating efforts to slip-stream and head into the wind.  It was the first time I'd participated in a big one like this, and immediately I had a "coach" beside me teaching me the ropes until I'd done it a couple times.  It made the experience very positive.

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

LosingSarah
on 2/3/14 12:07 pm - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

Amazing!  You are an inspiration.  I am a bit jeaous of the warm weather you're enjoying as I sit here covered in blankets with flannel pj's, fuzzy socks, and slippers on to keep me cozy.

jubjub
on 2/3/14 12:39 pm - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

I've been lucky - I've spent 5 of the last 8 weeks in Tucson, India, Las Vegas and now Palm Springs instead of miserable Minneapolis.

FindingMyWeigh
on 2/3/14 9:53 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

Oooh....Indio. They have the Shields Date Gardens there..best date shake EVER 

mollz007
on 2/3/14 12:43 pm
VSG on 02/20/14

This is very inspiring- thank you for sharing! I always enjoy hearing from people that are 1+ years post op... gives me something to look forward to. Congrats on your huge success!

check out my blog!

Linda B.
on 2/3/14 1:49 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

You look great, not just because you are at goal, but also because you look so happy. I lived in the Palm Springs area many years ago, great place to stay warm this time of year. We still make it down there every now and then, we are only a couple of hours away.

I know what you mean about the new lifestyle, who would have ever thought that DH (Mike B) would be such a runner and I would become a figure skater? The VSG has not only been a tool, it has been a gift for all of us. Enjoy the ride.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

frisco
on 2/3/14 4:38 pm

Jubster..... your amazing !!!!

Talk about a lifestyle change !

It might be partly your fault I'm looking at Carbon Fiber bicycles right now.......No.... I have no intention of doing your kind of 86 mile rides !!!

I'm doing 12 mile rides on a modified street bike (hot rodded) I love everything with wheels..... slot cars to race cars and everything in the middle.

Between the hot rods I'm building and the Carbon ones I want to buy....I may end up with 10 bicycles by the end of the year.... 

I justify it by telling myself it's part of the "program"..... !!!

Several weeks ago I was in southern Calif. with my godson (grand prix motorcycle racer) for a charity bike ride he and several other riders were promoting.

Motorcycle racers use cycling for training and several are even sponsored by some manufactures. The couple I know are sponsored by Specialized and another by Santa Cruz.

Well... I made the mistake of test riding both a flar bar Cyclocross bike and a Road racer..... now I got to have them both..... ya know.... for my 1 hour excercise rides !!!

Obesity really takes a lot of possibilites away from life. I really enjoy seeing how people blossom into themselves with the WL.....

You might like skate boarding !!! Check out the long boards !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op