Catheter

Justincortes1
on 2/9/14 10:47 am

Hey guys! So I'm 2 weeks out and was just wondering about the catheter. It scares the crap outta me. When do they put it in/take it out? 

jessies824
on 2/9/14 10:51 am
VSG on 02/04/14

may be a little different because im female but i just had my surgery on tuesday they put it in once i was already asleep and took it out the day after which was totally fine with me i was so medicated and exhausted all i did was sleep the day of and couldnt imagine getting up and down to go 

Omocca
on 2/9/14 10:57 am
VSG on 02/10/14

I'm having surgery at 8:15 Monday morning, I asked the surgeon the same question on Fiday. His answer "since it's such a short surgery there is no need for a catheter, you should be up and walking around inluding going to the bathroom a few hours after surgery.".........hope your surgeon feel the same way, I don't enjoy the catheter at all.

Sleeved 2/10/14 HW 357, SW 337

Annievvho
on 2/9/14 10:59 am - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

I was asleep when they put mine in, and they took it out...either the next day or the day after? My timeline on hospital stuff is a bit dicey. It was mildly uncomfortable.

Scribbler
on 2/9/14 11:08 am

I didn't get one with my VSG. If you've never had a catheter before (I've had several) here's how it usually goes: you wake up with one after surgery, and then after a day or two they'll pull it out. It feels weird when they pull it out, but only for a second. While it's in, it's not terribly uncomfortable; you'll probably not even feel it. Just don't sit on it or pinch it! You'll know about it if you do!

Pachary
on 2/9/14 11:40 am
VSG on 01/22/14

I had surgery two and a half weeks ago.  No catheter.  They had me empty my bladder a few minutes befor going into the OR. 

Up up and moving around a couple of hours after surgery.

MAchick
on 2/9/14 11:42 am
VSG on 01/27/14

I didn't have a catheter because I had just been to the bathroom before surgery. 

michael "I didn't do
it!" w

on 2/9/14 11:53 am - Festus, MO
VSG on 12/18/13

No catheter for me, but that first evacuation I wanted one. Lets say the bladder wakes up well before the prostate. 

HW: 495  Consult: 390  SW: 361 CW: 289

April is Autism Awareness Month!

leprowl2828
on 2/9/14 12:19 pm
VSG on 01/29/14 with

Hello  I didn't have one if they had put one in, or suggested to put one in I think I would've flipped.  lol ok Having a sore stomach and can't get up on my own.  My bladder was empty from 12 midnight!  

leprowl2828

carrie054
on 2/9/14 12:23 pm

any time you have general anesthesia, unless there's a compelling reason not to, the care team should put it in after you're out. 

I had one, and didn't feel it going in because I was under anesthesia.  I've had 4 in my life (from childbirth also) and if you've never had one, you will feel pressure, like you need to pee, when they pull it out.  It's very quick though so just take a deep breath.  I had mine out the day after surgery.  Also, don't be alarmed if your urine has blood in it after they take it out.  Using the bathroom after I had it out didn't hurt.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 300 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 347 views