1 week out... HELP, tummy trouble!

Scribbler
on 2/12/14 2:19 am

Oh, my-- Yes, I would probably like the yogurt with a dab of jelly. Cottage cheese is in my book from the surgeon's office, but it's the next stage according to them. Otherwise I would be eating that stuff by the tub, because I love it!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/12/14 3:30 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I would definitely suggest trying some egg white protein. Something about the texture of whey protein just makes me gag and I've never been able to get it down, but I do just fine with the egg stuff, and I've had no trouble getting it from the local vitamin store. It does have a touch of noticeable flavor that I can't quite describe but it's certainly better than having stomach trouble I'm sure!

Sending good thoughts your way, the whole situation sounds like it really sucks! Fingers crossed that you find something that works!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/13/14 8:51 am, edited 2/13/14 8:17 pm

I am almost 6 years post op RNY.    App 3 years ago I noticed that I become a sensitive to dairy - even yogurt, whey isolate, etc. But whey proteins and cheese were one of my main source of proteins. So I doubled my allergy pills and tried to ignore that.  As time went by I had to take more and more allergy pills.. Until they stopped working and I broke up in horrible hives.. I was already avoiding many foods that bothered me, so I end up eating meat and some veggies only... 

I made an appointment with good allergist and I found out that I am severely allergic to soy and to dairy.   I have gluten intolerance, plus most starchy foods are off my menu.

I believe I developed the 2 food allergies because  I was using too much of soy in the past and to much whey and dairy first 3 years post op. 

Please try to get appoitment with good allergist to verify you do not have soy allergy. And even if you do not have that allergy - please make sure your diet is not concentrated around one supplement - like soy, so you don't develop food allergy to it.

I now try to use different mixes - pea, brown rice proteins.  And real food. 

My doc told me that my soy allergy is very severe, and since the food industry use soy lecithin or soybean oil, or soy proteins in a lot of products - avoiding soy, dairy, and gluten is real challenge.  

You know that most fast food burgers can have both ?  Soy protein is cheap.. A lot of companies may use meat + soy proteins (to boost protein level) and bread crumbs..  A lot of commercial gluten free products have soy and dairy.  It is rather difficult to find ready to eat items that are soy- gluten - and dairy free. 

Good luck. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Scribbler
on 2/13/14 9:58 pm

I have meant to go see an allergist and get a workup on my food allergies. I already know that I'm sensitive to wheat, for example, rice, and many artificial colors and flavors. Soy hasn't bothered me. I tried some hemp and pea protein samples last night and they seemed to work really well. I generally avoid fast-food burgers because you don't know what's in them (artificial colors, flavors). Like you, I have to avoid most starchy foods and grains - potatoes don't bother me, BUT they are obesigenic so I have to stay away from them regardless.

happyteacher
on 2/13/14 9:32 pm

There are protein options without lactose.  Sams and Costco carry a soy based shake that my girls really like.  Muscle milk light is lactose free.  There are also egg protein based shake options as well.  Just cut the lactose and see if that helps. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 150 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 423 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 442 views