1 week out... HELP, tummy trouble!

Scribbler
on 2/12/14 12:32 am

As of this morning, I'm 8 pounds down, but honestly I don't know if that is "good" weight loss or not. I'm having digestive issues.

I haven't thrown up ONCE... or even gotten anything stuck, really, besides pills, which do get stuck on occasion. Which is GOOD since I'm on full liquids and things shouldn't be getting stuck anyway. If I take too big of a sip, I think I get the sensation of what it might feel like to get something "stuck". It's so terribly unpleasant, I've been unwilling to put anything larger than the size of a pea (except some of these horse pills they gave me, ugh) into my mouth. (Good habit to get into anyway. Kudos to me.)

The GERD I had upon release from the hospital has disappeared. I don't know what that was all about. It's probably either swelling, or a milk allergy. More on that...

About my allergies: I know I'm allergic to wheat. Have been for years. I would get GERD if I ate wheat pre-op, followed by gas and explosive diarrhea. Those are my "intolerance" symptoms: GERD, gas, and porcelain-chipping diarrhea that's bad enough to keep me home from work sometimes. So, I have avoided wheat. And as long as it's not in my diet, I'm fine. Besides, wheat is a binge trigger for me anyway. It does that to a lot of people.

Pre-surgery, I drank the protein shakes with no problem, and did so diligently and on schedule.

Post-surgery, I continued with the protein shakes, but noticed I was having diarrhea. I figured, "liquid in, liquid out" and that it was just part of the process. But then it got worse and worse to the point where I was feeling weak and sick.

Post-surgery, here is what happens when I have ANY whey protein whatsoever: in a shake, mixed into yogurt, added to a smoothie.

1. Eating it: goes down smoothly.
  2. Warning sign: Bubbles of gas within 5 minutes in my gut. Not in my tummy where the surgeon did his work, but lower down in my belly. Very loud, loud enough that others in the room comment on it.
  3. For the next 30 minutes: I can literally feel it racing through my gut just like bread would do.
  4. 30 minutes later: Explosive gas with diarrhea.

I confirmed the transit time by blending a (natural) dye marker (turmeric, cooked spinach - both of which are allowed on my plan) into a shake and consuming it, then timing how long it took before the marker**** the toilet bowl. 30 minutes.

Very scary stuff.

So. It may appear that whey protein is no longer working for me. I'm suspecting a "de novo" milk allergy arising from the surgery last week. Reason being, at the hospital they gave me a LOT of milk and I got that reflux, which for me has NEVER happened unless I ate something I'm allergic to. Reflux stopped upon discontinuing milk and has not returned.

I called a couple of fellow WLS'ers who I am close to, in a panic. They confirmed that there is NO WAY I'm absorbing any protein. They said I can eat 100g protein in shakes and I won't get any of it into my body if it's running through like that. Besides, the diarrhea was sapping my strength and making me physically sick. I was risking dehydration and mineral imbalance. They offered a couple of meal suggestions - one being baby food, which is not on my plan and which I haven't tried. I haven't been brave enough to go that route. I don't want to ruin my body.

For the past 2 days, I've been living on some of that high-end "live culture" Greek yogurt. It's not my favorite, in fact I frankly think it tastes gross, but it has protein in it. The good news is, the diarrhea, weakness and dizziness has stopped and I'm able to sit up.

The nurses' advice from the surgeon's office: Blend some Carnation instant breakfast into some cream of wheat made with milk and eat that slowly and that will stop the diarrhea and give you vital nutrients.

Yeah, not so much.

Before you comment: Please, please, I beg of you. Please do not make this into a "you're just a big crybaby who doesn't want to be responsible and drink her protein" thread. This is NOT THE ISSUE AT ALL. I don't need "tough love" here, unless someone has invented a new form of tough love that cures intestinal distress. Any "tough love" you have to give can be directed to my colon. The issue is NOT that protein shakes are gross. I am over the nausea and at this point, I would GLADLY hold my damn nose and drink that disgusting nasty chocolate Unjury if it meant I could get some protein in without becoming physically ill and spending the whole day in the bathroom. I'm eating Greek f*cking yogurt, for f*ck's sake, and I hate that stuff, it makes chocolate Unjury taste like creme brulee. At this point, I'm scared for my health.

Good news: I *AM* getting in my vitamins and water with no problems. I'm not dehydrated. And aside from a few "side stitches" in my abdomen, which I take to just be part of the healing process, I feel fine. No nausea, no fevers, no crazy weird stuff going on aside from the diarrhea.

More good news: In 3 weeks, I can start puree meats, eggs and cottage cheese. This won't last forever. I just want to be sure I'm not wrecking myself until then!

~~ VSG February 4, 2014 ~~ 30lb. lost since surgery ~~
~~ you will never regret not eating something ~~
~~if you're light enough, you just might be able to fly~~
~~nothing tastes as good as skinny feels~~
HW: 303 || SW: 255 || CW: 225 || GW: 120 || UGW: 105

Glow2182
on 2/12/14 12:59 am - WA

Girl you are totally having some form of milk allergy! Good for you for paying attention to your body! The tricky part now is figuring out what part of the milk you're reacting to. It could be the lactose, the whey, or the casien (or some combination of those three). My first assumption, just off of what you wrote here, would be that since you can eat yogurt its at least the lactose (the live cultures pre-digest most of the lactose in yogurt before you get to it.

The good news is that there are several different kinds of protein powder that are not made from milk, such as: Egg white, pea, and hemp. If I were you I'd take a trip over to my local supplement store (GNC, Super Supplements, Vitamin World, etc) and just ask them what they have.

I'm so sorry you're struggling so much with your new tummy! Hope it gets better soon!

HW 505  SW 446  GW 200.       VSG Surgery on 1/22/14

Scribbler
on 2/12/14 1:08 am

*sobs* Oh my god, actual productive advice. Thank you, thank you.

The health food store close to where I live, sells soy, pea, egg and hemp protein drinks and the staff are wonderful. I may shake them down, tell them I suspect I've developed a milk allergy, and see what's what. I will try to avoid a tearful meltdown in the store, but no promises, because I'm literally a wreck.

I'm so frustrated because I have literally a whole cabinet full of whey protein that worked fine for me pre-op and now I can't touch.

I am literally crying my eyeballs out here. I'm a wreck. I think this is what they would call one of those yucky "low points" following surgery. The nurses at my surgeon's office have been NO help whatsoever, they keep suggesting that I eat things I wouldn't touch with a ten meter cattle prod BEFORE surgery much less AFTER, I'm sitting here at home alone surrounded by things I can't eat and I'm scared to death for my health. I did this to get better, no****ch my precious bones and muscles slowly waste away while I nibble tiny pea-size bites of nasty Greek yogurt that is literally the only thing I can put in my tummy right now. The only thing that keeps me getting up and taking another spoonful of that white death is the knowledge that someday, this too shall pass.

*sigh*

~~ VSG February 4, 2014 ~~ 30lb. lost since surgery ~~
~~ you will never regret not eating something ~~
~~if you're light enough, you just might be able to fly~~
~~nothing tastes as good as skinny feels~~
HW: 303 || SW: 255 || CW: 225 || GW: 120 || UGW: 105

Keith L.
on 2/12/14 1:18 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Transit time does not translate into absorption. Absorption happens with the little finger like protrusions in your colon. Unless you measured what went in you as well as what came out of you, you won't really know. The fact that you got diarhea takes absorbtion off the table anyway. Chances are it went right through you for a number of reasons and is not an indication of what will happen going forward. So don't get too hung up on this until you get to full foods, thats when the game really begins, up until then you are in training and practicing. That being said, drink your protein you big baby. Get some sample of other proteins too. Mix them with almond milk unsweetened. I have found that it is best for mixing proteins. Try egg white protein, pea protein, there are different types of whey, try a hydrolyzed whey isolate, its much faster digesting than a concentrate or a blend. Very easily digestible.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Scribbler
on 2/12/14 2:24 am

I'm not giving up on the supplements, don't worry. I have good muscle mass and I aim to keep it. I'll try your suggestion and change what I'm making my shakes out of, see if my touchy gut can handle pea or egg protein. Trader Joe's just came out with a non-vanilla-flavored unsweetened almond milk! Hurray! Something that I can use in savory recipes... cream of chicken, for example!

The surgeon's office said it's fine to mix in green leafy veggies, fruits, or soft veggies with my smoothies, so I've been doing that too. Even veggies have some protein in them.

Keith L.
on 2/12/14 3:20 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Silk makes an unsweetened plain as well and I really like it, its thicker than some of the health food store stuff I have tried. I think you will be fine. I wouldn't give up on the whey so fast, my guess was it was the milk. Egg protein will likely hurt, its much harder on your stomach than whey. Vitamin Shoppe usually has sample sizes you can buy for a small amount and you can try a couple of things. Consider the hydroylyzed (pre-digested...don't ask because I don't know and I don't want to know) but I used it every day and it really goes down nicely and its fast digesting.

Scribbler
on 2/12/14 3:33 am

Almond milk has lactose? I didn't know that.

Keith L.
on 2/12/14 3:38 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

It shouldn't lactose is a milk sugar. A cow's milk sugar. Almond milk is made from almonds and water. Unless it is added to some commercial brands it should not have any.

Scribbler
on 2/12/14 3:50 am, edited 2/12/14 4:01 am

The milk shouldn't have bothered me then (after the hospital, anyway) because almond milk is all I drink at home.

ETA: (derp derp) But yeah the dairy milk in the hospital bothered the heck outta me! I won't drink that stuff willingly again.

Keith L.
on 2/12/14 3:41 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Can I drink Silk products if I am allergic to dairy?

Yes, all Silk products are dairy-free, lactose-free and casein-free, and they can be suitable for people with dairy allergies. We have extensive testing protocols in place at our facilities to detect and prevent contamination by dairy components. 

A dairy allergy is an extreme sensitivity to the proteins in dairy products and should not be confused with lactose intolerance. Dairy allergies can range from mild indigestion to anaphylaxis, which is an acute reaction. People with lactose intolerance have difficulty digesting the naturally occurring sugar in milk, which can cause stomach discomfort. Anyone with severe allergies should always consult a doctor before introducing a new food.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 58 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 58 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 234 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 308 views