3 months in

jmichael
on 2/14/14 12:00 am - Issaquah, WA
VSG on 11/26/13

I am so thrilled to be 3 months in and down 67 pounds.  A huge accomplishment for me.   I feel that i am recovered from the surgery but noticing i can def eat more than i did last month.  Are there any tips on adjusting to this phase and what are others experience?

FindingMyWeigh
on 2/14/14 12:28 am, edited 2/14/14 12:29 am
VSG on 10/30/13

I'm going to copy and paste a response from Frisco about undereating your sleeve. It's more about measuring and weighing your food and then waiting for that full signal and experiencing satiety. 

"Under Eating = Common Sense

Early out I kept reading about foamies, hicups, runny nose and vomiting.

So common sense says all that is from eating to much.........

Than I read something about "Eating till your full is how we got fat"......True.....

Than from my surgeon I learn what a "High Pressure" system the Vertical Sleeve is. You don't have that huge expandable balloon like stomach (fundus) to buffer over eating.

When the Pyloric Valve is closed from eating a dense protein first...... food begins to stack up.........till it hits the Esophageal Sphincter which by design is a one way valve only going "in"

So DING DING...... it's not hard to figure out that eating less would be the key to avoiding the above issues.

What happens when you try and fill a cup all the way to the very top????? Your gonna spill sometimes.... Now try and do it blindfolded !!! and that's what your doing by trying to feed your sleeve by going for full.

Now take that same cup....... and you know from past experience that it has about a 4oz. capacity. Now fill it up 3/4 of the way....now that would be under filling the cup with a little room for error. Not gonna spill nearly as many times than going for full !!!

Under eating your sleeve is the same concept. If you have a 4oz. capacity. Eat 3.5oz. Very simple.

This way of eating has many important advantages......

- First, eating fixed/measured amounts of food gives you an accurate count for your food logging for meeting nutritional values.

- Eating under your sleeve capacity will reduce any of those issues listed above.

- Most importantly..... Under eating your sleeve capacity is the only thing that you can do to preserve your long term restriction for maintenance when your really going to need it.

- Constant over eating is how you stretch out your sleeve. If you understand the description I gave above you will understand the high pressure is what stretches your sleeve.

- And if you have a larger sleeve you have more stretchy tissue, so this becomes very important for long term.

Try and read my post on Pyloric Valve 101 to get the basics on the Pyloric Valve.

Hope this helps.

frisco

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4508494/Frisco-Pyloric-Valve-Basics-101-re-post/

cappy11448
on 2/14/14 12:31 am

Wow.  That's great progress. Congratulations.  You are really working that sleeve! 

My only advice is that as you can eat more,  keep your dense protein constant at 3 to 3.5 ounces per meal, and add veggies to fill you up and bring some variety to the meals. 

best of luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

jmichael
on 2/14/14 2:31 am - Issaquah, WA
VSG on 11/26/13

thanks for the feedback.  its a process for sure -so glad i did it but i am back in grade school....

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views