Looks like Facebook took care of the job of telling the entire world about my bariatric surgery.

Scribbler
on 2/18/14 6:42 am

HAHAHA. Remember how I preferred to keep this surgery as something shared between just myself, my close friends and my family? Yeah. Facebook glitched, the post even said "Share only with these people..." when I moused over to double-check it... and it made the post apparently public anyway.

I have already gotten calls from my stalky ex-husband, a weird college friend whom I haven't talked to in 20 years, and other casual acquaintances who are only too happy to dig up the dirt on somebody they know.

I'm in damage control mode as of right now and don't expect to have my job for much longer.

FindingMyWeigh
on 2/18/14 6:56 am
VSG on 10/30/13

Holy Sh*t. That is horrible. Why do you think your job will be affected?

Scribbler
on 2/18/14 7:00 am

The last time someone at work found out what I do on my own time (nothing illegal or immoral either), I was fired.

trinoc
on 2/18/14 7:38 am - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

This makes no sense.  If they fire you over a medical procedure I'm guessing you'd have a lawsuit on your hands.

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

Scribbler
on 2/18/14 7:58 am

If you're in an at-will state, they can fire you for anything.

cajunlady1958
on 2/18/14 6:57 am - Broussard, LA
Revision on 12/30/15
What does telling anyone have to do with your job? It will cool down after awhile mine did. I made the mistake of telling one person and swore them to secrecy and within 1 hour it was all over the internet. Sometimes I hate facebook, but I did the best I could to calm my family and reassure them everything would be ok, and i'm sure you will be ok too.

You survived what you thought would kill you. Now straighten your crown and go forward like the Queen you are!

Scribbler
on 2/18/14 7:02 am

Back in the 90's, someone at work found out about some of my hobbies and took it upon themselves to tell everyone at work. I was fired.

My family & friends know, which I don't mind, but casual acquaintances know too, now, and I know of some who'll just use it for ****stirring material.

Don't worry, I'm pretty adept at telling people they got 5 seconds to get out of my face, and 4 of them seconds already gone.

Was wondering why my phone was filling up with texts from my ex-husband whom I specifically told to never speak to me again.

Scribbler
on 2/18/14 7:04 am

Also, the thing I was fired for, was running a pro-gay-marriage website and forum (yes I was part of that movement way early).

TruemansMom
on 2/18/14 7:00 am
VSG on 06/24/13

I'm going to guess (since I'm not an HR person) but HIPPA protects your job in cir****tances such as this. I guess we should never assume anything on the internet is private....

Jan D.  5'-8", highest wt 231, surgery wt 213

Scribbler
on 2/18/14 7:03 am

No, since facebook is fatally flawed. Too bad most of my family only use that for online communication. I'd prefer something less buggy.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 227 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 303 views