Wondering if my surgeon is experienced enough?

joconnor0922
on 2/23/14 11:51 am

Hi,

I 'm in the pre-op process and not sure if the surgeon I picked is experienced enough? I picked a hospital nearby that is a center of excellence and also the hospital that my PCP had her RNY at. I have most of my pre-op stuff done and only have 1 more appointment in march with the Nut and NP, with a hopeful surgery date in April. Anyways after doing lots of research on here, when I had my appointment last week, I asked for more specific numbers. My surgeon first worked as a surgeon in the army and then did her residency at Tufts doing only bariatric surgery. She joined my hospital's program last year and has done 350 RNY/VSG surgeries in the past year. She said 65% of those were RNY and 35% were Sleeves. She has had no leaks, no deaths, no pulmonary embolisms. I have not been able to find any reviews of the surgeon on this board or anywhere online. Do you think this is enough experience? Would you be comfortable with these numbers?

Thanks!!

MAchick
on 2/23/14 11:57 am
VSG on 01/27/14
She has done 350 between the both of them? That was just this past year, any previously? Also, are you in MA?

jenny1188
on 2/23/14 12:05 pm - mount laurel, NJ
VSG on 03/03/14

360 surgeries sounds like a good number to me ! But you have to be comfortable with her.  It's your decision that counts the most not ours   ! 

My surgeon is young and also has done only about that too but his partner is a little more experienced and had done properly double of that. I went to support groups and met patients that had both doctors and they were happy and that made me feel even better.  Does your doctor have support groups? 

joconnor0922
on 2/23/14 12:08 pm

She has done 350 surgeries in the past year, before that she was training at Tufts (residency?) to specialize in Bariatric surgery and prior to that she was a general surgeon in the army. I am in MA. I'm wondering if I should find someone more experienced, but I'm so far into the process now, that I feel "bad" leaving- like I should have figured this out before I met with her. Plus, I'm worried that switching to another doctor/practice will set everything back. Ugh!! She seems confident in her abilities but I'm not sure that's enough. I don't have any other issues, so not considered a high risk patient. Just looking for more perspectives I guess. Thanks

joconnor0922
on 2/23/14 12:10 pm

And yes it's 350 between the RNY and VSG- 35% of those being VSG- so about 120 VSG procedures.

GingerJen
on 2/23/14 12:41 pm
VSG on 03/07/14

That is more than enough to be very experienced

37 y/o female 5'8" HW 355 consult 329 SW (3/7/2014)301 CW 168 goal 170

M1- 26 M2- 14 M3- 15 M4 -13 M5 -16 M6-12 M7-2 M8-5 M9-6 M10-8 M11-1 M12-5  M13-10 Goal reached 4/5/15 total lost 187 lbs total; 133 in the 13 months since surgery

Imakitekat
on 2/23/14 7:16 pm - ID
VSG on 09/23/13

Ultimately YOU have to FEEL comfortable. Every doctor has to start somewhere, somebody had to be her # 1 patient sometime, that being said for my comfort zone I would have wanted someone with a lot more experience than 120 to have done mine.  All doctors have there own criteria for what they want you to have done, however I don't think a doctor would make you do the exact test over you had just had done say a week or so ago with a different bariatric doctor. But I don't know that for sure, something to ask for sure.  It's obvious your not 100% comfortable and you owe it to yourself to be 100%comfortable, this is your life and all surgery has risk! you would never forgive yourself if God forbid something did happen. It never hurts to get a second opinion and a good professional doctor would understand that. You may want to write down and note the things that are bothering you and talk to this doctor about them, she may be able to talk to you about them to satisfy your anxiety. I never questioned my decision about the doctor I chose, granted in the beginning I came on here to get help with what kind of questions I should ask, but all of his answers were solid. I can't express to you enough how important it is to have unwavering confidence in your surgeon. I hope this helps and best wishes on your journey.......

Smiles:),

Lisa

cappy11448
on 2/23/14 9:29 pm

Hi,

I think that's a good number of surgeries for me to feel comfortable, especially with her other stats.  I am also in Mass and had my surgery at Lahey.  What hospital are you using?  Just curious who else has programs, and support groups.  Lahey has a support group that meets once a month.  I'd like to find others, as I find them uplifting.

Best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Jackie T.
on 2/23/14 10:00 pm - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

You need to feel comfortable and if they are not experiencing complications and you like them, go for it.  If you are going to be constantly worrying about whether they are going to make a mistake due to inexperience then you might need to reconsider.  It is okay to feel nervous but not scared about your surgeon.  Also it is good that your PCP has had wls surgery and they will be able to help watch you for any complications if they would arise.  Based on your numbers they have done 122 in the past year with no significant problems.  Did they just start this past year or were they just giving you statistics for the past year.  They have done a lot more surgeries than they gave you statistics for.

Good luck with your decision.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

eSpirally
on 2/24/14 12:51 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 02/05/14

My surgeon was young too. She is my same exact age! I'm not sure if that makes me feel young or old. Either way, she did a fabulous job. I asked a good friend who is a PA when I was having a minor break down over having surgery with a doctor my same age (31) and she told me it's a good thing. They are fresh and aren't set in their ways and are "on top of it".

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 167 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views