husband stressing

jenny1188
on 2/27/14 9:58 pm - mount laurel, NJ
VSG on 03/03/14

My surgery is on Monday March 3rd.  My husband is beside him self.  We been married 26 years.. He is even reading horoscopes that is not in my favore and stressing even more which makes me stress a little.  I'm a healthy 47 year old woman just fat so I feel that I'm a good candidate for the sleeve and I hope that I'm doing the right thing.  so hard. ..so scary ...I know many people have a lot of complications ..I just don'tuunderstand why? ??

Tracy D.
on 2/27/14 10:09 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

My husband was the exact same way!  He's a very anxious (slightly neurotic) person anyway and believed every surgery was a major undertaking, convinced that I would die on the table.  I had to have a stern talk with him and explain that I was the patient, HE was MY support system and I needed him to be the strong one.  I also had him come to an appointment with my doctor to get reassured.   It helped that I was only in surgery for less than 45 minutes and had such a speedy recovery.  

What complicated all this with my hubby was that his sister had previously gone through two different WLS and had not been successful with either one - and I think he was afraid I was going to do all this and end up just like her.  He's such a believer now in the power of the tool that he will be getting this surgery in April! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

jenny1188
on 2/27/14 10:21 pm - mount laurel, NJ
VSG on 03/03/14

Thanks Tracy.  That makes me feel better.   What went wrong with his sisters procedures ? Or was it her head that ate through the sleeve?  Or there were medical problems? 

Tracy D.
on 2/27/14 10:24 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Nothing wrong with the procedures - she just completely did the opposite of everything they told her to do!  Never went to support meetings, drank with meals, drinks soda, eats large portions, never exercises, etc.   

Evidently she popped the staples on the first surgery back in the late 80's early 90's and with the RNY she has completely stretched out her pouch.  With the first surgery she gained back all the weight plus and with this last surgery she's only lost about half of her excess weight...and she'll never lose the rest.  Completely unwilling to make the lifestyle changes needed.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

jenny1188
on 2/27/14 10:46 pm - mount laurel, NJ
VSG on 03/03/14

Oh wow.  I guess you can lead the horse to the water but you can't make the horse drink the water ...

G5x5
on 2/27/14 10:15 pm - VA

This is such an easy surgery, relatively speaking, that all this pre-surgical stress is going to seem laughable when you look back at it.

I suppose it's like bungie jumping (which I've never done), when facing the jump it's scary, once it's done you're like "man, that was so easy".

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

jenny1188
on 2/27/14 10:23 pm - mount laurel, NJ
VSG on 03/03/14

Thanks g5×5.. from your mouth to god ears.  I hope its a breeze for Mr too. Thanks for the positive support

claimmaster
on 2/27/14 10:22 pm - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

I don't believe your statement that many people have a lot of complications.  Some people have a harder time than others with their eating and drinking immediately after surgery, but these are not complications of the surgery.  We're all just built a little different, heal at different rates, etc...  The complication rate is very, very small.  Consider the complications that arise from high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, stress on your body from the excess weight, chance of stroke, etc...  Now those are complications!

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

jenny1188
on 2/27/14 10:33 pm - mount laurel, NJ
VSG on 03/03/14

I appreciate your attitude!    I was just going by the posts on this site I have been reading with a lot of people situations. .but you are there are a lot more good stories then bad . So I'm thinking positive ! Thanks for you reply 

Tracy D.
on 2/27/14 10:39 pm, edited 2/27/14 10:39 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Make sure that you aren't transferring YOUR anxieties to your husband by telling him about "all the complications" that you're seeing people have on these boards.  I agree with Jane - if you've done the research on the surgery, and on your surgeon specifically, you'll see that the complication rate is very, very low.  This surgery is along the lines of having your gallbladder removed laparoscopically.  I had two C-sections and they were MUCH more dangerous and much rougher to recover from than this...this was a breeze. 

Most Active