So sick of broth and protein shakes- and I'm hungry!

shopaholic2014
on 3/6/14 6:03 am

I am on day 4 of my pre-op diet. The nutritionist said after day 3 my body would go into ketosis and the hunger would lessen. Well, it's just the opposite. Every day is harder than the day before, and that really stinks. I have sugar free jello, plenty of lemon water, plenty of protein in shakes and powder... but I'm still hungry. And, yes, I keep myself busy running errands, doing homework and housework. It's not helping! Any suggestions for curbing the cravings?! 

Scott S.
on 3/6/14 6:12 am - TX

The jello helped me.  Have you tried mixing in some crystal light to your water or other flavorizers?

This will pass.... just gotta get through it!!

VSG: 8/8/13 

PerfectAngel
on 3/6/14 6:13 am

I think we have all been there, drink more water, jus****er!  I would drink water before I had a shake and that seemed to help but you have to remember, you need to shrink your liver so they don't accidentally knick it in surgery, that was my motivation!  Good luck! 

MAchick
on 3/6/14 6:14 am
VSG on 01/27/14

It usually takes me like a week to get into ketosis. I can tell when I wake up early, have funky breath, and am in an energetic mood for no reason. So hang in! It might just take you a little longer. I hope you start to feel better! It's a mind trip and can be a struggle for sure.

StarGirl11
on 3/6/14 6:23 am, edited 3/6/14 6:23 am
VSG on 02/24/14

Contact your NUT and ask if you can add Benefiber into any of the liquids. Mine was willing when I made the call complaining about my hunger levels a few days out (I called on Thursday I started the diet on Monday). And it was a blessing. It eventually got to the point where I didn't really need it myself. But that took almost 5 or 6 days I think. 

But I needed the fiber supplement because I was miserable myself. Thankfully I have a runner trainer who has been through all this before so he can spot the problems from a mile away. And as soon as he saw my diet and I described my hunger problems and what I was drinking he told me exactly what I needed.

Can't help with the cravings thing. Best things to do is to just ride them out. They can be really hard sometimes.

HW: 306 SW: 256 CW: 243 Goal: 140

DIStickers.com Ticker 

jndrake
on 3/6/14 8:52 am - Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
VSG on 12/10/13

The only thing that really helped me was going to bed so I didn't have to think about it otherwise I was hungry for two weeks

"You're off to great places today is your day your mountain is waiting so get on your way.Oh the Places you'll go" Dr.Seuss

marymo362
on 3/6/14 9:28 am
RNY on 03/18/14

I hear you! I did break the barrier after the 3rd, but 4th was still a little hard day s(I am on day 6 and feeling pretty decent!)

My question is, can you have sugar-free Greek yogurt on your pre-op? I can and that really really helps with the hungries!

H/W: 312 S/W: 280 C/W: 196 Surgery date: 3/18/2014

jamiemarlowe
on 3/6/14 11:13 am

I'm in day 7 and it was REALLY hard the first 5 days. I cheated a little with a small handful of nuts or a small sip of juice (literally a sip) - I figured it was ok for the first few days until my body adjusted. I still have 7 more days but I'm good now. It also helped me to take a nap when my kids went down for theirs and I took a lot longer drinking my shakes during breakfast and lunch. Drinking water in-between drinks of protein shakes. It takes me about an hour to get through one shake. Honestly though when it comes time for dinner and I get to eat greens and 4oz of protein, it's still like Christmas morning for a 5 year old.

cher_g
on 3/6/14 11:52 am

You're going to do great. We have all been there and made it thru. You're doing just what I did with motivation to get that liver small. Makes you look forward to surgery! Be strong, remember why you're doing this. And good luck

Most Active