Need a 2nd Psyc Eval

CHERRYBELLA14
on 3/17/14 10:25 am

Soooo....my surgery is spose to happen on Monday (3-24) but today when I went for my pre-op with the bariatric doctor; he wants me to have a 2nd Psych eval due to my extreem panic disorder.

He is worried that after surgery I will have more attacks...to be honest I am worried as well, but I wouldnt want my surgery to be delayed!

Thankfully I did get an appointment for tommorow with my usual Psyc doctor and I just hope that she will adjust my meds or just reasure the surgeon I will be fine.

God so close yet so far

Had to vent, thanx for reading! xo

***on my cell sorry for the typo's n spelling errors***lol***

A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES BEGINS WITH A SINGLE STEP...* IF YOU DON'T STEP FORWARD...YOU WILL ALWAYS BE IN THE SAME PLACE.

Tata64
on 3/17/14 10:44 am

I'm glad you are ok with getting a 2nd eval. Some people have emotional break downs, I don't want to scare you but I'm being honest. The first two months I had bouts of crying and was very emotional I never had any of these symptoms before surgery, I'm better now. Make sure you are ready mentally for the new way of life. Be happy on what your doctor decides. Blessings!!!!

Nancybefree
on 3/17/14 7:47 pm
VSG on 11/21/12

That sounds like quite the usual experience postop.  Roller coaster emotions and crying jags are common due to the surgical experience itself -- not exactly an emotional breakdown there.  It does get better as the weeks of recovery roll along.

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

skeller
on 3/17/14 11:20 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 05/01/14 with

Hang in there. Look at the second eval as an opportunity to think and talk about the surgery, and to try and integrate/absorb the changes that you'll be making. Never look a gift-therapist in the mouth, I say! ;)

FindingMyWeigh
on 3/17/14 11:32 am
VSG on 10/30/13

Your regular psych knows more about you and they may just be requesting a 2nd eval out of an abundance of caution. 

Get your meds lined out..I found Klonipin to be a longer acting anxiety agent than xanax, maybe that's something to consider and discuss with your psych.  

Remember about Dr. Beck's Diet Solution book. .the cognitive therapy book that helps understand the underlying reasons behind overeating ..there is also a workbook that many find helpful to become more aware of their relationship with food etc. Ask your psych about it and be open to any suggestions they may have.

The first month is a hormonal tidal wave, it does get better but I found an increase in anxiety as my body began releasing fat from the cells and the surplus hormones along with them.  My NUT said this is really common as is depression. .we lose our best buddy..food. .and have to learn new coping mechanisms to handle our emotions instead of food. Do you have a Plan B for how to deal with emotional issues outside of food?   If not,  give it some serious thought and share your Plan B with your psych or request their assistance in formulating one. You will need it. A big part of this weight loss surgery is mental. My Plan B was exercise. My Plan C is keeping occupied by nurturing myself in a healthy way like having a warm cup of tea, a hot shower,  some quiet time with a book instead of eating when I feel overwhelmed and so on.

If all of us had a healthy relationship with food, we wouldn't have needed surgery.  Once we have the surgery we're accountable for our food choices and can't use food to hide our anxieties anymore.  Look at this as a positive thing..the 2nd eval is a great way to capitalize on how you plan on doing so.

Calaska
on 3/17/14 4:07 pm - AK
VSG on 08/18/14

Thank you for this post. I just bought the book and workbook. I plan to tell my therapist about them too. I think I may need to see him after surgery to ward off my (now managed) depression. 

58 yo female, 5'9" HW: 297 SW: 285  Surgery W: 252. CW: 224.8 GW: 160        

If there is no struggle, there is no progress. ~ Frederick Douglass

CHERRYBELLA14
on 3/17/14 12:29 pm

Thanx for the feed back. Yes I have a plan B (-: to be more acctive (-:

I think you are all rite and maybe it is a blessing to get a chance to just go over some things one more time with the theripist.

xo

A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES BEGINS WITH A SINGLE STEP...* IF YOU DON'T STEP FORWARD...YOU WILL ALWAYS BE IN THE SAME PLACE.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/17/14 1:43 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

That's great that you'll be able to see your usual doc! I have bipolar and I've been having check-in appointments a bit more often than usual since surgery. (I'm usually in every 6-8 weeks, but now I'm in once a month.) The first month or so was really rough, my hormones were bonkers and my brain just felt a bit scrambled. I've had to tweak my meds once, and I imagine I'll adjust things again at my next appointment in a few weeks, but as long as you're able to check in things will be good.

Good luck to you, and if you need a surgery buddy with a "special brain" (I've had panic issues too, especially when I'm manic, and I carry a few xanax at all times), feel free to shoot me a message anytime!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 309 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 356 views