What if it doesn't work....

Lemily
on 3/21/14 12:47 am
VSG on 01/16/14

Let me preface - I am the most impatient person in the world. Second, I have had a 30 pound weight loss in 9 weeks...i know that's good. My fear comes in now, that i have never been below the weight in the past 10 years that I am right now. Maybe I am in my head to much, but I have this fear that I will not lose anymore. Did anyone ever feel like this and what did you do to overcome these fears and thoughts.

G5x5
on 3/21/14 1:06 am - VA

It will work.

No matter what your body does, or how long it takes, it can not sustain itself on the calories eaten during the loss phase.  Most of us seem to gravitate towards 600-800 during the loss phase phase, but some will stay in the 1000-1200 range.  These numbers are simply to low to not lose weight.

All the sleeve does is let us starve ourselves for a period a time, without feeling the hunger consequences, if we follow the basic rules (such as remembering to eat at the right times and water consumption between meals).  Our job during the loss phase is to modify what we eat so we don't suffer nutritional complications during that phase.

If you think about it, you see this playing out in any under nourished third world country.  You don't see obesity there, due to lower calorie consumption, but you do see nutrition deficiencies, because they don't have the food options we have.

So the only questions here are "are you compliant enough to make this happen" and "how will your body react?"  The first part is your choice, be compliant and this will work "eventually".  That's where the second part takes over, none of will have the same reaction to the process.  Generally speaking you're looking at a minimum of 6-12 months before the changes are done.  In many class it will go even longer than that.  However, if you stay on the program, you'll get there.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

Lemily
on 3/21/14 1:16 am
VSG on 01/16/14

Thanks for your encouraging words. I am very compliant and try to get in some kind of physical activity in 3 times a  week. I appreciate everything that you advised of. I guess when it slows a little is when you - I, start worrying about it the most.

mickeymantle
on 3/21/14 2:59 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

there are 2 ways to fail

one is to take meds that make you gain weight (Actos, some anti depreciates)

two is to eat crap , lots of bad carbs, much to much  food , fatty food

if you stick to your plan you have to lose ,if you are losing to slow talk to your nut about some changes in your plan

make shore you measure and track all food , calories sneak in in stuff like coffee creamer that some people forget to track

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Lisa J.
on 3/21/14 3:25 am - OK

I think I might be as impatient as you! I want everything NOW. OMG yes we've all felt that way! It's a twisted gift we get from WLS. It seems to me that a whole lot of surgeons don't provide much, or any group support. Is that true for you? We come from eating our heads off: what we want, when we want it. Then we've made the decision to let our surgeon cut our stomachs so we are forced into limiting our portions. I know that's what I definitely wanted. And I still do. By making this choice we are forced to change up our bad habits. There is a part of me that still wants to eat what I want--and the other part wants that gung-ho aspect that I had first year out.

But I chose this. I have not one complaint.I also didn't have any complications and I was 95% following the plan. I was blown away by the actual results--including when I'd hit a stall.Stalls are inevitable and the vary in duration and from the next number you'll weigh in at. You cannot beat it. It happens to us all. And none of us believe, really, that we will continue with weight loss. But we do. We cannot believe that those next-size-smaller pants are going to fit. But they will!!! You will lose weight all year, frankly, regardless of how you eat. BUT I'm not encouraging that! Simply because it's imperative you use this time to make the changes that you'll need for the rest of your life. If you don't continue to follow the plan for the most part, you will gain weight back. I don't know one single person who doesn't like eating carbs. And that is most of our most evil downfall. Carbs create the craving for more carbs. If you don't give your body those carbs, it is forced to burn the stored fat as energy. That's the science we're looking for. Plain and simple.

You are going to ROCK your new tool.

Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 116 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 342 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 394 views