Goodwill Shopping

Tenacious88
on 3/27/14 6:56 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 02/05/14

Hello Everyone. Today I checked my closet, but could not find any pants or shirts that I could wear. I went from size 48 pants to 42’s and shirts from 2xx to large, omg. Saturday I have to attend a funeral, so I went to Goodwill and bought size 42 pants and a large dress shirt. I took the advice from vets on OH, to first go to Goodwill before going out and buying new clothes. Your size will change from week to week, so it does not make sense to buy new stuff. The weight is coming off real fast now, about 4 pounds a week. I am 7 weeks post-op and lost 46 pounds, only 54 pounds to goal of 150 pounds, started at 255. Still eating soft foods and drinking my shakes, not really hungry, but I do get that empty feeling, if I drink water or have just a little something it goes away. My journey up to now has been very smooth and easy to maintain. I no longer have to take pills for my diabetes, the next step is to get off all blood pressure pills, my doctor has reduced some of my pills. I thank all of you for your support and advice during my journey. If anyone is thinking about getting VSG surgery, don’t put it off much longer get it done today and start really living life as a Loser. Waiting for you at the bench. God Bless 88 Lou  

"We as Losers need to have Bull Dog Tenacity to win the war against obesity"                  

Kelly Jean
on 3/27/14 7:16 am
VSG on 04/08/14

wooooo hooooo awesome Job..... congratulations !!!!  I cant wait to start my journey on april 8th...

beemyne7
on 3/27/14 7:16 am - Canada

Well done!!

I had Surgury Jan 21, no clue how much I have lost as I have no scale...I did lose 14 inches of my waist!! Pretty excited about that!

Beemyne7   broken heart 

TexasTerritory
on 3/27/14 7:49 am
VSG on 07/22/13
Four pounds a week is awesome!

jubjub
on 3/27/14 10:06 am - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

I did the goodwill thing (3 times I think - each time dropping a load of donated clothes and then going in and shopping for new stuff).  We have a nice thrift store near my office - i purchased many high end shirts, Ralph Lauren, Izon, Hifiger, etc. for a few dollars each as I went from XXL to XL to L to M...

I had a harder time finding nice pants... so one thing I did was search out the Dockers brand who have/had (not sure if they make them anymore) a line called Comfort Waist.  These have a hidden elastic band that allow the waist to flex a couple inches... so you can buy them a size or two small, and wear them through 3-4 inches of waist shrinkage.  I kept one or two of these around for dressier functions.

They made them in all sizes, not just the larger ones.  I'm currently right on the edge of a 30" - 32" waist, and it just depends on the brand and cut.  The flexible waist makes it easy - there's enough stretch there to cover the gap.

Example here: http://www.amazon.com/Dockers-Comfort-Waist-Khaki-Classic/dp/B0047N0ZYC

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

Bufflehead
on 3/27/14 10:38 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Definitely hit up the thrift shops! You never know what you will find. I got a pair of lined wool Ralph Lauren trousers for $12. Looked them up online and they retail new for over $300! I've had them taken in twice now and sadly they really can't be taken in anymore and are too big, so they are going back to the thrift store.

You can also find good deals on EBay and at http://thredup.com if you are comfortable buying stuff without seeing it in person and trying it on.

KevinBacon
on 3/27/14 11:32 am
VSG on 03/10/14

Congrats Lou 

I need to check out my goodwill too

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

bigredlt
on 3/27/14 2:53 pm - Harrisburg, PA
VSG on 03/07/14 with

I went to salvation army today.  It was "white" tags 50% off day. I found a nice pair of jeans for $2.50.  My area also has a "wears like new" consignment shop, but it's more expensive. I usually get business casual & formal wear at the consignment shops . 

42 y/o, 5'7", HW 289, Start Weight 280. SW 264 on 3/7/14. Diagnosed w/IDC 5/16/14.

pineview01
on 3/27/14 6:28 pm - Davison, MI

Good going!  My DD did the Goodwill shopping as she dropped.  I just used hand me downs and Walmart clearance.  Than I took both our big cloths to donate.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views