When di you tell your work?

joconnor0922
on 3/30/14 10:03 pm

Hi,

I have my surgery date now and was wondering when everyone usually let work know? Also did you tell your work what you were having done? It sounds like I will most likely need 4 weeks off from work due to the lifting requirement. I'm a nurse and there is no option for light duty which would have allowed me to go back sooner. They are not going to be happy about my absence and I don't know if it's better to tell them closer to the actual date-more of an emergent surgery than just telling them now. My immediate supervisor is a big mouth and if she knows what surgery I'm having done, everyone will know. I have only told the people that are going to be my support system and don't plan on telling anyone else right now. I'm wondering if I can just say it's personal and leave it at that.

joconnor0922
on 3/30/14 10:04 pm

Sorry- title is supposed to read- When did you tell your work?

FindingMyWeigh
on 3/30/14 11:22 pm, edited 3/30/14 11:23 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

You can tell them as little as you want, or as much as you want. That's a personal decision. If you know you're going to get flack from your co-workers for being off for 4 weeks due to your surgeon's instructions, I doubt they care exactly what your reason is for taking medical leave. All they know is that they are going to have to re-work the shift schedule. I'm sure you've pitched in for your co-workers in the past, so I wouldn't dwell on it too much.

You already know your boss is going to reveal your personal information so I personally wouldn't confide in her. Keep your explanation simple: you have a medical condition and your physician has placed you on light duty activities for the next month. If she wants details, I would just say that you feel uncomfortable talking about because it's a bit personal, but thank her for her concern and reassure her that you're looking forward (heh) to returning to work at the earliest opportunity.

Keep It Simple and CONGRATS on your surgery date! You're going to LOVE your sleeve!

Colleen 

kellie03
on 3/30/14 11:33 pm
VSG on 02/28/14

I would let them know as soon as possible so they can get coverage for your shifts, that will help with animosity from coworkers who are upset that you have to take off. 

You obviously have to tell your boss that you will be out of work, but there is no reason you have to give any explanation as to why other than your doctor will have you on light duty. Human resources should be the only people know your exact reasoning. They may require a letter from your surgeon explaining that he requires X amount of time off of work and that the surgery is medically necessary. Other than that it is your personal health information which no one else needs to know the details of. If your boss asks for details it would be highly inappropriate, especially if you don't have a personal relationship with your boss. 

30 Yrs Female  5'9  HW: 310   SW: 280  CW  179 ( 1/2/14) GW: 169

PreOp-30 M1-26 M2-11 M3-13 M4-12 M5-10 M6-5 M7-8 M8-6 M9-6 M10-4 M11-4

sunspray
on 3/30/14 11:37 pm

My work required 30 day notice for FMLA. You don't tell your supervisor anything,  just HR. Under HIPAA your boss can't ask.

MAchick
on 3/31/14 12:18 am
VSG on 01/27/14
I was in a similar situation. I gave them about two weeks and didn't give any details. I called and said, "I know this isn't the ideal time, but I am having surgery and will be out for a few weeks". By law, your supervisor is not allowedto ask for the details. On the medical leave paperwork, my surgeon wrote "abdominal surgery", i think.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 167 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views