Newbie.......

Adner65
on 3/30/14 9:37 am

This is my first post. I hope to get gastric sleeve. I weigh 360 pounds, BMI of 56.  I have orientation meeting on this Thursday with Dr. Foote's practice, Grand Rapids, Mi.  I have BCBS of MI Will I have to do 6 month diet before having the procedure, or can I begin right away because of my high BMI. Also will I have to do a sleep study, I won't/can't wear a CPAP, crazy light sleeper, i would never ever be able to sleep with that on.  I'm so excited about this journey, any and all input would be so appreciated. .

Melmarchi
on 3/30/14 10:30 am

Hi there! I've just started the process also for VGS. I'm hoping to have surgery in July at the latest. CPAP isn't bad once you get used to it. I've been wearing mine for 9years and it's made a difference in how I feel through the day. I was told the time you have to wait depends on your insurance. My BMI is 53 and I have to wait 3 months. Best Wishes on your journey!

Adner65
on 3/30/14 11:25 am

Thank-you for the response. I'm just so excited, its all I think about, obsess about.  Good thing. I have a full time job, it helps keep me grounded. I'm a control freak about everything (except my eating:( ). I want to push the whole process through at warp speed. But since I haven't been to any doctor in about 12 years. I'm sure I will have lots of appointments.  Keep me posted on your journey.

stacie914
on 3/30/14 10:46 am

The wait will depend on your insurance but I had to wait 6 months and it was a good time to explore what a life changing surgery this is and honestly it took me that long to get all the pre-op done and really learning how to eat.  I did not have to do a sleep study because I do not have a history of sleep issues (no snoring, wake up feeling as if I slept) Good Luck! This forum is fabulous for any questions you have it has saved me on many occasions when I have no idea what is going on with my body.

HW: 369.8  SW: 338.6

supernova
on 3/30/14 11:14 am

That six months was really valuable in learning about what to expect and dealing with the emotional preparation.  I had plenty of time to think of how I was going to handle it outside my close friends/family support, as well as giving me time to really consider if this was what I actually needed or if there was other motivation behind it.  I'm sure that's why so many insurances require that time period - it keeps people from making rash decisions without really taking *everything* into account.

Adner65
on 3/30/14 11:31 am

Thank you for your reply.  I'm sure it will take that long to dot my i's and cross my t's. Unfortunately I snore like a mac truck, and fall asleep at the computer. So I'm sure I have sleep apnea.  I had a sleep study done once but it was inconclusive because i sleep to lightly.

Gwen M.
on 3/30/14 11:18 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It will all depend on your insurance company and their requirements.  But welcome!  This is a great forum and there are tons of super helpful and friendly people here. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Adner65
on 3/30/14 11:36 am

Thank you for the welcome. As I said above I am so excited to start this Journey. And I have a lot to do. I haven't been to the doctor or had a mammogram in over 12 years.  I absolutely hate doctors because of the embarrassment of my weight. But no more, it is what it is.  Have a mammogram scheduled for this week and physical in two weeks. I'm taking control. 

Gwen M.
on 3/30/14 11:39 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You should feel super proud of yourself for starting this journey, seriously, it's not easy especially for people like us who have had to deal with fat shaming from doctors.  I hope your mammogram and physical both go much more easily than you expect.  (And this reminds me, I need to schedule my mammo too - I wanted to wait until I had this surgery thing over with!)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

elizjayjay
on 3/30/14 12:12 pm
VSG on 05/27/14

Welcome to the start of the rest of your life. I have been doing the classes for about 6 months, and sx in May. I have changed over the last 6 months. I am stronger, and feel that now I can do this new chapter. Enter the classes with an open mind. Learn and grow. Use them as a tool to help you understand why you are in need of this and what you will need from others to complete it. Also. Call your insurance company yourself and do it tomorrow. Best of luck!

Most Active