What to pack?

shorty71
on 3/31/14 8:44 am - CT
VSG on 04/01/14 with

I tend to overpack for anything. What should I bring?  How many pjs?  What else besides toiletries would you recommend?

Bufflehead
on 3/31/14 9:08 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Very little! I brought zero PJ's and didn't need any. That's why the hospital has gowns for you to wear. The gowns make accessing your wound sites, IV ports, catheter, drain, etc. much easier anyway.

I brought: basic toiletries, couple of changes of undies (for a 2 night stay), lip balm, phone and charger, and Kindle. I only used the Kindle because my surgeon was running late and I had time to kill pre-op. I wore the same clothes home that I wore to the hospital -- loose empire waist dress, cotton sports bra with no underwire that fastens in front -- a lot of people end up with a surgical wound right where your bra underwire or bottom would hit and switching to a cotton sports type bra with a front fastener will make that much less painful!

There was nothing I needed in the hospital or wished I had. I did have my friend who picked me up and drove me home bring a pillow for me to put under the seat belt for cushioning on the ride home.

Scorpio98
on 3/31/14 9:23 am

I packed pajamas, but stayed in my hospital gown the whole time.  Bring your phone and don't forget your charger.  Bring something to read and an iPod or some device to play music--it can get loud in the hospital and sometimes you want to tune out the noises of other people.  You should get some socks with grips on the bottom that let you walk around, but if you don't like those, bring slippers.  If you use a CPAP, bring it.

I'd also recommend doing a shopping and stock up on all your protein shakes/broth/SF jello and popsicles before surgery so everything is prepped and waiting for you at home.  Same for all your vitamins and any post-op meds you need.  Good luck!

ShrinkingViolet2013
on 3/31/14 11:13 am

I agree with the other posts, but I also packed a light robe to put over the hospital gown because they get you up walking right away.  I didn't want my butt sticking out of the hospital gown!  Lots of good luck! 

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/14 11:40 am
VSG on 03/04/14 with

I used almost nothing in the hospital. Wear baggy comfy clothes to the hospital, and wear them home. Shoes with no laces. All you will need there is the gown they give you. Phone, charger, ipod, ipad, something to read. That's all you will feel like.

It's more important to have whatever you'll need at home for the fiest week or so.

megan.sherman
on 3/31/14 12:04 pm
VSG on 05/17/14

Phone/tablet, comfy clothes to wear home, lip balm and sugar free jolly ranchers.  After the surgery you will feel like you swallowed a hand full of cotton balls and the candy helped so much.  Slip on shoes are helpful too.  If you are unlucky like me and have your period while there, bring your own pads.  The hospital pads are uncomfortable.

Best wishes!

Mac333
on 3/31/14 1:02 pm
VSG on 04/24/14 with

I won't be having surgery until later this month and will be traveling to Mexico but still am only taking 1 nightgown for my 2 hotel nights going and coming, slippers for the hospital walking, and an outfit for traveling to and from and 1 extra just in case. Good luck!

Mac    HW  234   SW   204.8   CW   190     M1  

" The favors of the Lord are not exhausted,His merices are not spent; they are renewed every morning so great is His faithfulness"     

Lamentations 3:22-23

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 97 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 321 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 365 views