Pregnancy?

Susan_04
on 4/6/14 10:05 am - WI

For anyone who has been pregnant after having WLS, how long after surgery did you get pregnant?

How was eating and getting in all your vitamins etc? Did your dr do a different Glucose Tolerance Test during pregnancy than the normal test? If you got pregnant before the recommended 12-18 months post surgery, did you have any issues?

A friend of mine had the VSG and ended up accidentally getting pregnant at 6 months post-op and had no issues. She was very worried and when she went to our dr he wasnt very concerned because she was already at the food stages of being able to eat pretty much everything and could easily sustain her pregnancy by diet, vitamins,etc.

We plan on getting pregnant once we are 12-18 months or more post-op but was just thinking of all these things recently and just wanted to get some others inputs so I have some feedback for the future!!! :)

mickeymantle
on 4/6/14 3:25 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

MY SURGEON  like many prefer you to wait 2 years , you may still be in the losing stage at 18 months

and it is best to go to a nut that know about pregnacy after wls and a ob gyn with knowledge of wls

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

LosingSarah
on 4/6/14 11:36 pm - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

My doctor said 18 months.

I have a 5 year old daughter and we are considering another one, but I'm pushing 40, so it's not a for sure decision for us. That being said, when I had my daughter I was obese, but lost 20 pounds during the first six months of pregnancy because of terrible "morning" sickness. I then only gained ten pounds once I stopped losing. I had great pre-natal care, ate well, and took my vitamins and my doctor didn't seem concerned because I clearly wasn't short of reserves. My daughter was born with zero problems.

My current PCP & surgeon (I lived in a different state than I did when I had my daughter) didn't voice any concern about potentially having a baby after WLS except to say don't start trying until around 18 months post-op.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 277 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views