My stock is HIGH with hubby - lol!

Tracy D.
on 4/14/14 12:14 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Hubby came home yesterday after being sleeved on Friday.  His gas pain ended up lodging right under his diaphragm and he was a miserable puppy on Friday and Saturday.  As we were walking the halls of the hospital this weekend he said, "You made it look so easy. You either had the easiest recovery in history or you're a serious bad ass."  

I looked at him and said, "Honey, I'm a serious bad ass."  My family didn't allow moaning, groaning or complaining.  My grandma (who was a nurse) constantly talked about her high tolerance for pain and we knew we'd better shut up and buck up.   Of course I had pain and I was uncomfortable and had lots of emotions going on...but I knew better than to dump that on him because he'd immediately want to fix it and would feel bad cuz he couldn't.  

Last night he asked if I felt sad afterwards because he was feeling pretty down and depressed.  I told him "sure"; I'd just had a surgery that ensured I would never be able to lean on my old best friend food.  And as much as you mentally prep yourself for it, it's a hard adjustment.  I told him my emotions kind of went like this the first few days: 

Surgery Day:  couldn't think about anything, just got through the day

Day 1:  WTF did I do to myself?!?  Holy crap, this is BAD!

Day 2:  I don't think I can live the rest of my life like this 

Day 3:  OK, so now I can swallow but when will I feel better 

Day 4:  Feeling more normal for short bursts of time

Day 5:  OK, maybe I can do this

And so on....I told him each day gets a little bit better and to be patient.  He keeps saying, "you made it look so easy".  Well, once again, I come from a long line of "no whining allowed/tough love" women and my expectations were low.  As a woman who has had two old-fashioned C-sections, this surgery WAS easy...compared to that!  

He had a long list of things he wanted to get done during his two weeks of recovery and I think now he's seeing that this is going to be a longer, slower road than he anticipated.  But he's already down about 7 lbs. and has been able to walk on the treadmill for 20 minutes at a time.  And he'****ting his fluid and protein goals so he's on his way.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Miss150
on 4/14/14 1:05 am

Last paragraph would indicate hubby is doing great!  You tell him for me that he's a bad ass, too!  Way to go with the walking, man!  And you, sweetie pie- support city!  Excellent!

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

(deactivated member)
on 4/14/14 1:31 am

That is funny!  They always say if Men had to give birth there would be no children.  I guess we are hardwired to do what we must do.  My husband was impressed with my recovery, he is still in shock that I did it and it has not been a burden for our family.

Shagdoll
on 4/14/14 1:45 am

I 2nd that, you are a serious bad ass Tracy!!!!  :)

I'm glad things seem to be getting a little better every day.  My VSG wasn't a total walk in the park but I did feel improvements every day so that's encouraging. 

I'm so excited for you both my friend!!!  Keep us posted!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

FindingMyWeigh
on 4/14/14 4:56 am
VSG on 10/30/13

I love this post, Tracy! And hell YES you are a serious bad ass..and also, your husband has good taste because, of course, he married you. That's wonderful that you are both there for each other in a very meaningful way for your WLS's. 

It does get better every day, one day at a time, and soon your husband will be loving his sleeve, not as much as he loves you, though 

Colleen

Plumlove
on 4/14/14 5:29 am

Love it!!! So glad you are there to be his rock. I wish him a very speedy recovery and the joy that comes with this transformation! 

Ps, I come from a similar "suck it up" background. I had 3 new school C-sections so lets hope that it all works out for me on April 28! 

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 4/15/14 12:05 am
VSG on 12/06/12

One of the hardest parts for me was I not able to drink actual water until the next day. I could just have stupid water put on my lips. I am a big water drinker so when they let me have that ounce of water the next day I was so happy.

Tracy D.
on 4/15/14 1:01 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I was the exact same way - have always been a huge water drinker so going without anything from midnight on Thursday to noon on Saturday...I thought I was going to lose my mind!   I talked my husband into giving me a little water just so I could swi**** around and spit it out.  Without the nurses knowing of course ;-) 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 4/15/14 1:03 am
VSG on 12/06/12

Yeah it so tough. I also had my surgery late in the afternoon so I called them in the morning to ask if I really had to go all day with out a drink. They told me I could until four hours before. That made my day.lol

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 392 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 423 views