temperature sensitivity post-op?

poplargreys
on 4/19/14 9:10 am
VSG on 03/31/15

I have read on multiple threads about people not being able to tolerate hot or cold liquids after surgery - is this a fairly common minor issue? If you have experienced this, has it been a permanent thing, or did you notice your tolerance change for the better or worse once you were past the initial healing?

Gwen M.
on 4/19/14 9:20 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I haven't had any temperature sensitivity, but I also didn't drink water with actual ice in it until the 5-week mark.  When I did, it was no trouble.  

Which is actually interesting.  Pre-op if I had ice water with a meal it would cause my throat to clench up and I'd end up having to throw up since I'd get food stuck in my clenching throat.  But I had ice water in NYC right up until I ate meals and it didn't bother me at all.  That's pretty cool.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Machelle.K
on 4/19/14 9:53 am - WA
VSG on 11/06/12

I was very sensitive, but it has gotten better, though I don't much care any more for very hot beverages, or even hot spicy food. Though I love Mexican food as long as it's not too hot. Mexican food is my new favorite since VSG. It's only been the last 6 months that I've noticed a change.

Machelle 11/6/2012 with Dr. Houseworth WA

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/19/14 12:29 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

It gets better.   After surgery I preferred room temperature water.  Now I can drink it cold or with ice.  I've never liked hot beverages,  so lukewarm tea and soups were no problem after surgery. 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

ohmeohmyohamber
on 4/19/14 2:31 pm - Charlotte, NC

Right after surgery I experienced pain when drinking ice cold water. So, I switched to room temperature and I was able to drink without any pain. Now I'm a week out from surgery and I still prefer room temp beverages, BUT when I do drink colder water it doesn't hurt anymore. 

56sunShine14
on 4/20/14 1:00 am

I have the band, not the sleeve.  however, to this day, seven years later, if I take a full drink (not a sip) of something that is very hot or very cold, it will cause immediate severe pain in my chest and then I vomit.  I am just very careful and try not to do that.

noedangling
on 4/20/14 7:39 am

At one month post surgery I have experienced some weird changes with water intake. Before surgery I drank about 2-3 liters of water a day. I prefered it room temperature so I could chug it down and I loved my water and prefered it to all other beverages. Post surgery I have had a difficult time adjusting to small sips and not drinking during meals. The  biggest change though is now I must have ice cold water. Almost from the moment after surgery I wanted cold water, it feels great on my stomach plus it masks the taste of the water which I almost can't stand now. Another strange side effect. I almost hate the taste of water. Ice cold water is all I'll drink now.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 281 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 335 views