I'm Down 50 & My Husband applied for RNY!

civilmomma
on 4/23/14 4:30 am, edited 4/23/14 4:44 am
VSG on 03/07/14

I am 6.5w post op and down 50 from my pre-op high.  I am in the 200s!  I am *thisclose* to weighing less than my husband!  I was 375 when I delivered my 2nd baby - just thinking about that number is mind boggling.  I am into size 24 jeans and getting into 2x tops now - it feels so good!

My husband was supposed to go first since he has Type2 Diabetes and is on insulin plus a bunch of other fat-guy meds.  He needs the surgery more than I did as far as co-morbidities go. He chickened out in 2011.  I was pregnant at the time and wanted to nurse for a year, so I was waiting until 2013...thinking he would do his in 2012 then...2013...nope.  So in May of 2013 I said enough is enough and went ahead with my VSG process. 

Now that I am doing well, SIL (had RNY a year ago) is doing well and off her insulin (Type 2 as well), and his coworker is in process too - my husband finally filled out the application!!!

Our insurance requires the 6 month process - so he is looking at a Christmas 2014 surgery timeframe.  I hope he does it in 2014 b/c we have already met our $6k OOP max from my surgery, so his surgery would effectively be free to us.

Our future together and the lives of our children will be changed forever in 2014.  It feels so good to know that we are both taking steps towards being a healthier family.

(He is having RNY b/c data shows better long term disease control for Type 2 Diabetics - and our COE surgeon and hubby's internist and endocrinologist have seen the same trends in their own patients.  The good thing is that this clinic has the same "rules" for VSG and RNY patients, so we will be on the same plan.)

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

Plumlove
on 4/23/14 6:11 am

Hey Civilmomm! Congrats! Looks like 2014 is your year. Thats so awesome. Loosing sizes must feel the best. I am still pre op and of course wishing for much success. I know that I have never lost 50 lbs on my own and then just keep going down from there. I can hear the joy in your post.

happyteacher
on 4/23/14 7:13 am

That is very exciting for both of you.  And it will be that much more of a help for you, because in 6 months just when he is gearing up complacency may begin to creep in... this will truly help you stay the path.  Conversely, your experience will be a tremendous asset for him!  Beautiful!  I hear you on the hoping to get it done before the end of the year.  Have your hubby state that at every friggin' appointment so that the medical folks will hep to make sure that this goal is met.  You will be cutting it close, but it can be done.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

GingerJen
on 4/23/14 10:07 am
VSG on 03/07/14

Hi surgisister!  That is so great! Very happy for you all!  My family is slow to adopt my new lifestyle - except that my daughter (13 and a carb addict) ran a 5K with a friend! yay!  I seem to be tracking right with you as far as post-surgery weight loss.  It is amazing how much better it feels, right?  I can't imagine what we will feel like in 6 months.  

I have dropped from a 26 to a 22 and am in 2x tops also.  And....I caught myself leaning back comfortably in normal sized chairs..and..looked down and saw my legs crossed! (gasp!)  Not sure if you can relate to this - but I feel like I have gone from "very obviously significantly obese" to "normal fat."  Not that I am "normal" right now....but I'm not as ashamed when I go places and run into people I know.  It seems like life has opened up already.  

37 y/o female 5'8" HW 355 consult 329 SW (3/7/2014)301 CW 168 goal 170

M1- 26 M2- 14 M3- 15 M4 -13 M5 -16 M6-12 M7-2 M8-5 M9-6 M10-8 M11-1 M12-5  M13-10 Goal reached 4/5/15 total lost 187 lbs total; 133 in the 13 months since surgery

civilmomma
on 4/23/14 11:27 pm
VSG on 03/07/14
On April 23, 2014 at 5:07 PM Pacific Time, GingerJen wrote:

Hi surgisister!  That is so great! Very happy for you all!  My family is slow to adopt my new lifestyle - except that my daughter (13 and a carb addict) ran a 5K with a friend! yay!  I seem to be tracking right with you as far as post-surgery weight loss.  It is amazing how much better it feels, right?  I can't imagine what we will feel like in 6 months.  

I have dropped from a 26 to a 22 and am in 2x tops also.  And....I caught myself leaning back comfortably in normal sized chairs..and..looked down and saw my legs crossed! (gasp!)  Not sure if you can relate to this - but I feel like I have gone from "very obviously significantly obese" to "normal fat."  Not that I am "normal" right now....but I'm not as ashamed when I go places and run into people I know.  It seems like life has opened up already.  

That is so great!  You sound like you have already started to benefit from the confidence boost!  I haven't had that leg-crossing moment yet, but I have noticed that I don't need to panic when we are seated in a booth in a restaurant anymore. 

I totally get what you mean about not feeling ashamed when running into people.  I was back in my hometown over Easter and I actually wore a dress to Mass where I knew I'd run into family friends - I didn't feel uncomfortable showing myself. 

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views