So frustrated.

Jaime P.
on 5/1/14 11:56 am
VSG on 07/22/14

Here it goes - I got the lap band around 6 years ago - lost about 80lbs.. 2 replacements later and endless times getting stuck or throwing up, I am done with the band have been working on getting a revision to the VSG. Last week I got a complete unfill and pretty sure I have a leak because I went from 6.4cc's in my band to 3.5cc in a year - with NO unfill. Now, this has just been a horrible week for me and I'm so discouraged and frustrated. Saturday morning I had a major toothache and went to see a dentist. Turns out that I needed a root canal. Fast forward to Tuesday and I get the root canal - 8 doses of numbing meds (4 times the normal dose) and I can still feel the drill. Still have horrible pain 2 1/2 days later even with hydrocodone. Then yesterday as I'm eating mushies and taking my meds for the tooth infection, I get terrible chest pains and end up in the ER. After tons of tests, the don't know what's going on and send me home with meds to help. This morning I had my nutrition class (requirement for insurance approval for VSG) and then they take me back for a barium swallow to check the esophagus and band. Turns out that my antibiotics were getting stuck and tearing up my stomach since Saturday and finally had enough causing the pain. I think - ok, well I only have my EGD left and then everything will go to insurance and soon the band will be gone and I get the sleeve. Well, I decided to call the office this afternoon just to make sure I wasn't missing anything and there wouldn't be any surprises. Turns out that the center (Dr. Kim in Dallas) no longer has surgery privileges at the hospital I was supposed to have surgery out when approved. My insurance is basically not covering them anymore (BCBS). They are now saying that it would be AT LEAST September or October until I can have surgery…maybe! The worst part is that NO ONE mentioned it this morning while I was there and apparently this happened earlier this week. You would think they would call and let people know! So now I’m on the hunt for a new surgeon/location and hoping that I don’t have to start over with everything. To top it all off, today is one year exactly since I walked in on my newly skinny ex-husband cheating on me after a little over a year of marriage and 5 years together. I’m not sure how to stay positive after the last horrible year and very bad week. Just really needed to get all that out there and I just don’t know what to do now. :(

trinoc
on 5/1/14 1:32 pm - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

Sounds like a super rough time.  As hard as it is, you really only have 2 options - stop looking or keep pushing forward and finding the surgeon and help you need.  I hope you get quick resolution!  I'm sure it's extremely disheartening to run into such obstacles.  And honestly - it's a good thing  you caught the douche after only 1 year of marriage instead of wasting 20 on him!  I know it wasn't an easy thing but you don't need that!

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

Jaime P.
on 5/1/14 2:20 pm, edited 5/1/14 2:20 pm
VSG on 07/22/14

Thanks and you're right. Stopping is definitely not an option. I have to have this for my health and well being and I can't keep this band, especially if it's leaking. I've already put some feelers out, just disheartening to start over again. Reminds me of the hard time I had with the lap band in the beginning. I cross all the fingers I have but it just seems like once I get excited, something happens to bring it down and man, it's frustrating. Especially health wise since right now I feel like I'm a walking pharmacy. And thanks for the reminder about the ex. I needed that too! It's time to start the waiting game again. 

Menchi
on 5/1/14 4:16 pm
VSG on 09/11/13

It is a bad patch, things will get better.  Remember you have all of here to support you.  

Jaime P.
on 5/1/14 4:32 pm
VSG on 07/22/14

Thanks Menchi 

Jiliana2
on 5/1/14 10:59 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I have no words of wisdom. Other than the obvious "Crap, that sounds like a helluva year!"

I can only hope for you that things look up. Crossing fingers that the mushy stage for the tooth issue is finished soon, and I'm really glad for you that they found the antibiotics were getting stuck and that was causing your pain!

I will also hope that the insurance/surgeon problem can get resolved fast! No one wants delays, but with luck, you can get it sorted out and keep your chin up. We're all pullin' for you. Hang in there. This too shall pass.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Jaime P.
on 5/2/14 2:25 am
VSG on 07/22/14

Thank you! I really appreciate the support. Today I woke up feeling a little less sorry for myself. Lol. We'll see what happens with the second center. 

Karen D.
on 5/2/14 3:29 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

You sure have had a time!  FWIW...I had a root canal 1 1/2 years ago and it still aches me every day!  I hope yours does better.  I hope things get better for you, but I have a question.  Were you going to get removal of the band and revision to VSG in 1 surgery, or were they going to have it done in 2?  My surgeon prefers to wait and do it in 2, but he says he may be able to do it in 1.  I'd prefer 1, but for potential issues, I'd rather it be 2 to be safe.

Karen

Jaime P.
on 5/2/14 4:01 am
VSG on 07/22/14

Yeah.. And I have to get a second root canal in the tooth next to it later this year! Owww!!! I am hoping to get it done in 1 for time/recovery reasons,  but my original surgeon said that since I've had the band replaced twice already, there may be too much scar tissue. Basically won't know until they go in. We'll see what the next surgeon says when I find one... 

happyteacher
on 5/2/14 4:14 am

Ok, that sure counts as a crappy week.  My heart goes out to you.  When I have some difficult periods I remind myself of...

You cannot always chose the situation you are in, but you can choose how you respond to them.

Hang in there. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 266 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views