For Vets - especially those that have been around a long time

trinoc
on 5/5/14 8:55 pm - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

Just curious - do you remember who the people were, on here, that you found yourself paying most attention to, taking their advice, agreeing with, or just in general being motivated by to keep the loss going?  Are they still here?  Are they still maintaining their loss? 

I am trying to imagine if I will still be on OH in 5, 10, 15 years....or if at some point it just becomes a burnout and I drop away. 

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

Miss150
on 5/5/14 10:07 pm

Relative new-bee-here.  Have been a part of this forum only about 17 months or so.  This place is my support group (live in a very rural area) and so I check the boards almost daily.  I don't post so much anymore; the farther out in my journey, believe it or not, the less I have to say AND the more I know that, really, I don't know  crap about weight loss.  I read here a lot- support, encourage, and celebrate others as they search out their own WLsalvation.  Maybe that is the experience of those who came before me-or are contemporary with me- or even after- who have seemingly dropped off the board.  I do see "return and help, I've gained" posts- of course.  This board is a wonderful tool, and their are some remarkable and lovely people who populate it who have much experience and wisdom to give.  Read, think, learn, and apply, but in the end---burn out or not, your success (and mine, for that matter), will depend on commitment and daily follow through of whatever disciplines you learn on the way.  Good luck to you- and strength and grace to us all to succeed and maintain.  Bonnie 

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

trinoc
on 5/6/14 9:40 am - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

Thanks for sharing and your beautiful sentiments!

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

happyteacher
on 5/5/14 10:44 pm

I have been coming here since 2010, so not one of the longer running vets.  Most people come preop or newly postop, hang around for a while, and then fall off.  There is a core group that still comes back several times per week if not daily though.  It really depends on your mindset.  For the vets that continue to come most would likely tell you it is to stay connected to the process in an effort to maintain.  Some of us do OH and also go to local support groups.  It is my opinion that the use of support groups is critical, otherwise it is very easy to slowly lose the good habits developed and revert back to the habits that made us obese in the first place.

As far as "listening" to the vets- what I would recommend is that you read as much as you can, and apply the various strategies that you think will work best in your given situation.  It is a little different for all of us. Many need to go low carb, some higher carb.  Some only eat meals and no snacks, others eat meals and several snacks.  Some drink alcohol occasionally, others don't.  If you were to poll the vets you would find that there is not one approach used by all, but rather a variety of strategies applied when needed.  

The boards were far, far more active a few years ago so long term I am not sure how well OH will fair.  But for now, it is a good place for questions to get answered and staying connected. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

trinoc
on 5/6/14 9:44 am - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

Yes - there are as many strategies for success as there are people succeeding.  To suggest that one person's way is the only way is to discount the success of everyone else who does it differently.  I have a feeling that the things that contribute to long term success aren't so different - but those probably have nothing to do w/ eating or exercise and more to do w/ pure grit and tenacity. 

Maybe the boards aren't as active because there are more "real life" support group options now that WLS is a lot more readily available, used, and accepted? 

Tricia

Tracy D.
on 5/5/14 10:56 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Hello - I'm not even close to being a vet but I can report that in the 10 months I've been active on this board that I've seen that activity of true "vets" dwindle.  As Happyteacher said, there is a core group that continues to come back and post (bless them!).  I read and consider the advice and experience of everyone - even newbies - because there is always something to be learned.  I've picked up great tips from people who were pretty new to the whole WLS experience and have gathered invaluable advice from the vets!  

I imagine that with the proliferation of WLS sites and Facebook groups that it has sucked off some of the energy that kept this site going in the past.  But I know that I'll continue to come back here and offer support, whatever insight I have, and to learn new information.  I'm always wanting to learn!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

trinoc
on 5/6/14 9:45 am - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

Thank you, Tracy.  I know that you're one of the people I look to and read from very often!  When I see your avatar I pretty much know it's something I want to read. 

Tricia

Tracy D.
on 5/6/14 9:51 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Thanks, Tricia - that's sweet to hear! :-) 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

acbbrown
on 5/5/14 11:06 pm - Granada Hills, CA

Ive been on the boards for 4 years now - during those times, I have "fallen off the face of the planet" because of personal issues, but I always check back in here regularly. There are stll a few from my core group that post and a few vets I still listen to. 

It all depends on balancing time vs benefit on these boards - some people get too carried away in drama and just end up leaving. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

trinoc
on 5/6/14 9:47 am - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

Drama sucks and ruins the experience of so many sites.  I've sensed a little drama, snark, and not so subtle digs on here lately and it really does color my view of the people who make them and my ability to further take anything else they offer seriously.  I just hate the drama, you know? 

Tricia

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 307 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 353 views