Are these goals realistic?

joconnor0922
on 5/9/14 9:36 am

I posted yesterday about struggling to get all water and protein in. I was sleeved on Monday and my goals are 48 ounces of clear liquids and 70 grams of protein. Protein can not count towards liquids. These goals just seem unattainable if I can't count protein as liquid. Today I have gotten in 36 ounces of water and 30 grams of protein (in 14 ounces of protein shakes). I am literally beyond stuffed and have been drinking 4-8 ounces every hour to get where I am at. Do you think these goals are reasonable ?

Miss150
on 5/9/14 10:09 am, edited 5/9/14 10:11 am

Hon, you are doing jus fine!  These are goals--      You are so soon out of surgery- Take it slow, but listen to what your body is telling you-soooo much more important  a lesson for you to learn.  Sip, sip sip.. get a much liquid as you can in a day,  Take in protein- if it comes with shakes- that is liquid- count it! as liquid and protein.  Do what your body allows, and DON't Pu****  I spent days trying to keep up with the goals set- you know- be the perfect patient ... what I learned was to slow down, and start listening to my body--- this is not a race--- easy does it.  You'll get  it in your own good time.  Best to you- Bonnie

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

Dizzybell
on 5/9/14 10:11 am
VSG on 05/05/14

That seems like a lot! I was also sleeved Monday, I am still on clears, and my goal is 64oz liquid and 40-50g protein (which also counts as liquids). On Tuesday I move to full liquids and my goals are 64oz of liquid and 40-60g protein per day. Your protein goal seems high this early! I am obviously not an expert, but I would be crazy-full getting all that in!

--Keri--

HW: 275 SW:272 CW: 165.3

Gwen M.
on 5/9/14 10:22 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Protein not counting toward liquids is just foolish.  If it's a liquid, it counts.  I don't understand why a surgeon would have that requirement.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

olessgn571
on 5/9/14 10:39 am
VSG on 04/24/14

I'm with the others! I was told that liquid proteins... such as shakes counted as my liquids and I whole heartedly believe that! It's the only way I make that goal! :)  Hang in there you are doing great!  I'm 2 weeks out and being challenged daily!

(deactivated member)
on 5/9/14 11:32 am

I'm going to take an opposing view from other responders. Yes, I think your surgeon's goals are reasonable. They are similar to the ones I had initially coming out of surgery. Here's why I think they are doable:

70 grams of protein can be made up into a shake using protein powder. Two 8 ounce shakes is a total of 16 oz.

Adding another 48 ounces of clear liquids brings you up to 64 ounces for each 24 hour period. This 64 oz is minimum for optimal hydration after surgery.

I now getting all this liquid in is hard. consider it your full time job right now. I gave myself a goal to drink 2 oz of liquid every 15 minutes when I was awake the first 4 days after surgery. I aimed for that each 15 minutes. It was NOT EASY and took determination and lots of small, small sips, but I did it. Did I make it every hour? Nope, but I tried.

I think if you look at it incrementally you will be able to do it. Say you're up for 12 hours out of 24. You've got 4 hours of wiggle room to meet that total goal of 48 oz of clears, plus another 16 with your 70 grams of protein.

This is a very hard stage. I sympathize with you, but I think you really MUST get the liquids in. I have seen first hand how scary real dehydration is. Absolutely frightening. You don't want to experience it.

OceanGirl18
on 5/9/14 12:55 pm

You are doing fantastic!! I'm now 11 days post op and it's only been in the last two days I was able to reach my liquid and protien goals. Each day I feel a million times better and last Friday when I was where you are, 5 days post op, I could barely drink anything, was just released from the hospital and could barely get out of bed. Your body is healing and each day you will be able to consume more. The Unjury chicken broth and isopure flavored drinks have made it much easier because the milk based protien has been very hard for me to consume. The isopure drink (40g protein) and unjury chicken broth (21g protein) get you to 60g protein plus 28 oz of fluid. Best of luck and just remember each day will be easier! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 365 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 410 views