Larger Bougie?

VSG_VET
on 5/12/14 5:06 am

Did anyone have bougie size 36 or higher and how has your process been. I'm doing my research so I know that some think that it doesn't matter and I'm not asking for a debate on that issue just curious to hear personal experiences from people who had larger bougie sizes.

mickeymantle
on 5/12/14 5:15 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

there not that much different , I have a loose 34f and have no problems eating the right amount of food , I never get sick or had problems drinking

here is a thread that shows the different sizes of the bougie but how your surgeon uses it is more important than its size , and your food plan is the most important part of losing and keeping it off

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4517656/Bougie-Size-Infamous-Pen-Photo-Question/

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/12/14 5:24 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Bougie Image

Here's the image for the bougie comparison.  Very little difference between them.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

mickeymantle
on 5/12/14 5:31 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

funny there is no 32f in the picture and many surgeons use it

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

(deactivated member)
on 5/12/14 5:16 am

I didn't have a larger boughie size, but I just wanted you to hear from different people that I admire.  There used to be a beautiful woman on here, her name is Lee, you might still be able to find her and post to her.  I wonder if she checks in on this site (in truth, I haven't seen here here for a while).  She got a larger boughie and has found ways  to make it work for her, but her story is really interesting and she is many years out now (at least five, but I think more).  If you can find her, I am sure she would give you a very honest response that would be really worth your time.  Someone on here might know of another way to get a hold of her.  I have the utmost respect for her and her journey.  Good luck with your research. 

VSG_VET
on 5/12/14 5:37 am

Thank you. If you happen to find her name please let me know.

VSG_VET
on 5/12/14 5:42 am

Found it!

ald731
on 5/12/14 5:18 am
VSG on 04/07/14

From my discussion with my surgeon (after asking his philosophy on sleeve size), bougie is just one aspect of the sleeve size. Technique is also important as is where the starting point of the incision is (how far from the pyloric spincter). My surgeon uses a 36Fr, which seems to be fairly standard these days. Based on the scientific literature I've read, 36Fr is a good balance of enough restriction but not so tight as to increase risk of complications. I can't say long term what my sleeve capacity will be, but at 5 weeks my capacity is 2oz. 

April:  HW- 323, SW-310, CW-159 (as of 9/25/15), Goal- 140; Pre-op (-13), M1 (-17), M2 (-16), M3 (-14), M4 (-13), M5 (-12), M6 (-8), M7 (-12), M8 (-8), M9 (-8), M10 (-5), M11 (-7), M12 (-5), M13 (-7), M14 (-0), M15 (-1), M16 (-5), M17 (-5)

VSG_VET
on 5/12/14 5:34 am

Thanks I've seen the bougie comparison and know about the surgeon technique factor which is why I'm asking for input from people who actually have had a larger bougie used in their procedure.  I will certainly look for Lee. I'd love to hear about her journey

frisco
on 5/12/14 5:38 am

If capacity didn't matter...... why don't we all have 60's ?????

If the difference is so miniscule..... why can one person eat 3oz. and another 12oz. Is that minuscule?

Here is a quote from Nikkal:

Plus, let's not forget our geometry - the difference between a 32 & a 40 isn't much in diameter, but it adds up when calculating geometry!

(pizza math - the difference in area between a 11" & a 12" pizza is 18 square inches or about 20%. However the increase in diameter is only 9%)

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Expired Optifast Question