Muscle weakness

joconnor0922
on 5/31/14 1:50 pm

Hi

I was wondering if anyone had feelings of muscle weakness in the post op period? I'm almost 4 weeks post op and for the past few days, my muscles (especially my quads) feel so weak. They feel like I have run a marathon and hurt when I do basic things like sit, stand, go upstairs, etc. I haven't been working out or doing anything more than usual and it doesn't seem to be going away. I'm wondering if it could be a result of low calories and not enough protein or dehydration?

Thanks

trinoc
on 5/31/14 1:51 pm - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

Dehydration and low protein would be my first guesses.  Are you drinking 64 oz/day?  Are you getting your surgeon's protein requirements in?

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

joconnor0922
on 5/31/14 1:56 pm

My doctor has my fluid goal at 48 ounces and I'm usually close to that between 42 and 48 ounces daily. Since my last visit with my nut (1.5 weeks ago), she had me stop counting protein and just do the best I can- I'm averaging 40-50 grams of protein. This is the first time since the surgery that I have felt like this. It's hard to walk up the stairs (my legs hurt at the top)- this has never been a problem for me. I've always been able to climb the stairs no problem. I see my doc and nutritionist on wed, wondering if it can wait or if it warrants a call tomorrow.

trinoc
on 5/31/14 2:11 pm - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

I'd call.  I've actually never heard of a bariatric patient being told not to count protein.  I'd work on increasing water and protein, both, and see if that helps.  In the meantime, I think a call to your team is in order.  If you're having muscle damage in your legs, you're having muscle damage everywhere...heart included.

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

joconnor0922
on 5/31/14 2:28 pm

I was having a really hard time getting in protein prior to my 2 week visit. I was gagging on all shakes, vomiting them up, etc. The nut told me to eat 6 times per day, high protein, soft foods with focus on eating until full instead of achieving a number. It was only temporary until I see her again this week. I have been logging everything in my fitness pal anyways, so I know what my protein is. When I left the hospital, my goal was 60 grams of protein but I have yet to meet that goal- for the first 2 weeks, I averaged 25 grams of protein each day. I'm going to call tomorrow. Thanks

trinoc
on 5/31/14 2:31 pm - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

Ahhhh, that makes more sense!

My nutritionist also told me to not obsess over the protein number so early out.  She said I did have to obsess on fluids, though.  They were my number one priority and then work on protein (even if I was drinking it). 

I'll bet you're dehydrated and your muscles are letting you know.  Please keep us posted on how you're doing!

Tricia

Aes85
on 5/31/14 3:43 pm

At 4 weeks out you should not have too much difficulty meeting your protein and water goals ... I would definitely increase your water and protein ... And although it feels like a chore to drink so much water, it will only help you get better.  

28M, 6'2 ft.  HW: 313.  SW: 280.  CW: 261. RNY 5/21/14.

Aes85
on 5/31/14 3:48 pm

Oh and for me picking out the right protein shake has been essential! If I try to get my protein in with a shake that doesn't have at least 20-30g of protein then it is so hard to meet that goal.  I have tried many but optimum nutrition has whey isolate chocolate shake w 30g a shake.  so if you could tolerate that shake (they sell it at gnc and costco now) then you are halfway there for your protein a day! Just something to maybe consider! I know initially some shakes were just not very tasty and then getting the protein seemed almost impossible! 

28M, 6'2 ft.  HW: 313.  SW: 280.  CW: 261. RNY 5/21/14.

Texasgirl321
on 5/31/14 11:34 pm

Are you on BP meds? If so have you checked your BP lately?  I haven't had surgery yet but when I started on my BP meds I had leg arm and low back weakness. They just felt ired tired and when I would do anything walk or get up they hurt. Not so bad I couldn't do anything but uncomfortable.  It took about a week to adjust.  When I told my MD about it, he said sometimes if your BP drops to low that happens.  So maybe you have a change in your BPadter surgery.  Or dehydration can cause that too.  Keep us posted on what u find out.  

Janet

joconnor0922
on 5/31/14 11:54 pm

Thanks everyone. I did call my doctor today and she thinks it may be an electrolyte imbalance. She wants me to have some pedialyte today and come in tomorrow morning for labwork. Hopefully it can be corrected quickly- I'm scheduled to go back to work this week and I can't imagine standing, walking and lifting for 12 hours.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 167 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views