Low Potassium

LakeErieGirl
on 6/13/14 10:56 pm
VSG on 06/17/14

Yes, I have used the search function first and try to not post the same topic over for vets to get upset about. LOL. Sorry, if this comes up a lot. But, I don't know. Is this as typical thing?

I will be having my surgery on Tuesday. I just got had my pre surgery physical on Thursday. I had to met with a Medical Doctor in the  bariatric department and the anesthesia department. (Which I was shocked about meeting. I can't believe they go over EVERYTHING before! Its great I think. I didn't do that with my 3- c sections) I then had to go get tons of blood taken.

Well, they took blood work back at my first visit to check levels but apparently they didn't check Potassium. I guess why would they. I don't know if they routinely check this. Do they?  I know they checked my Vitamin D because it was extremely low so they started me on Vitamin D then.

Thursday when I got how from the clinic late in the afternoon, I told my husband, I was exhausted and just didn't feel well. I told him then I was felt like I has been " hit by a truck'! I told him I could barely walk. I told him walking up and down the stairs and across campus at the clinic really did me in. Now, Cleveland Clinic is huge I never had trouble walking there before though. I usually don't have trouble walking. I really just thought it was because I was gone since 6:30 that morning! But, I was cramping inside, my legs hurt, arms, and I felt dizzy.

I didn't tell him all the details because I was trying to suck it up. I am not a complainer. Plus I am on my 14 day pre-op diet. I told him. I have to eat. I decided I was going to blow it. I said that eating "soup". Its liquid. It is something that I could have, but I was trying not to because to me it isn't a great choice.  I have lost 10 pounds so far and I have stuck with it to a T. 

Well, I after I ate, it still wasn't cutting it. So, I knew something was wrong. We went to my son's baseball game and I still felt like crap. Soon as I walked in the door at 8:30, the phone rang. It was the nurse from CC. She told me, that they got my blood results back. She said that I needed to get to the pharmacy immediately! She told me a the doctor called in a prescription and I had to start taking the pills that night ( 2) because my levels were extremely low.

She stated they had to get the levels up before surgery. The nurse did tell me he put it in my records that he felt it was due to my diet right now and because I was losing weight so fast. ( Ten pounds in a week. )

My question for you is did anyone else deal with this? Did they hold surgery? Are you on Potassium now? Prescription? I am wondering now if I will always have issues with this now?

I am still cramping really bad.

I take wellbutrin and anxiety meds and now that I researched this, I am wondering if this is something I have had issues all along. Because its stated LOW POTASSIUM and LOW Vitamin D can cause Depression and Anxiety!  I am hoping once I get all this fixed maybe I can go off all this. Maybe, these were the cause of the depression.

Thanks for your replies!

feels_so_good
on 6/14/14 4:14 am
VSG on 05/20/14

Can't offer to much help, however I started muscle cramping post op and it wasn't from dehydration or to much exercise. The nurse said it was likely potassium and as I started taking my multivitamin (and adding real food to my diet, the cramps should go away. I've been back on vitamins for a week and the cramping is gone. 

Your situation sounds more severe. Did you have any issues before the preop 10 lb loss? That seems like an intense reaction. It might be a combination of the potassium, low calories, other minerals/vitamins, hydration, etc... all contributing a little to the situation. In the end, make sure you talk it through with your nurse/doctor.

Todd

5'10" Male : Consult Weight 428 1/16/14 : Pre-op m1 -3, m2 -12, m3 0, m4 -27 : SW 386 : m1 -25, m2 -22 m3 -15 4 -12: LW 278 CW 320 : Total Loss 108

nomosleeveenvy
on 6/15/14 9:43 am, edited 6/15/14 9:44 am

I had a similar issue. Two days after my pre - op visit and three days before my surgery, I received a call from my surgeons office. I was told that my Potassium was low. I had been feeling run down for about two weeks but I had no idea know why. I googled low Potassium and read that it could happen if you take water pills. I have high blood pressure and I had been taking water pills.

The nurse told me I needed to eat four bananas, one in the morning and another in the evening, starting the next day. I immediately went to the store and bought five bananas. I ate one that same night and followed her directions for the next two days. I was so nervous because I didn't want anything to stop my surgery.

I went to the hospital on surgery day as planned and I was asked if I had eaten the bananas. They took my blood and did not mention Potassium so I guess it was okay. My surgery went well and my surgeon was very pleased with his work (love him). I did hear a nurse say something about Potassium in my IV the next day. Hopefully, your surgery will also go as planned as long as you take your prescribed meds. Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views