Day of He** coming up

sillymilly
on 6/18/14 12:24 pm - NC
VSG on 07/17/13

We're having a mandatory training day next week, and I just got the agenda.  Opens at 10 with breakfast, followed by a choice of sessions that have nothing to do with my job.  Then a break with a snack, followed by another session with nothing to do with my job.  Then lunch - catered sandwiches, chips and soda.  A third offering of training sessions that have nothing to do with my job.  And we're ending the day at 4 with an ice cream sundae bar.

So that makes 4 meals in 6 hours, and a whole bunch of training that is of no use to me.  And I'll just be bringing my own lunch and watching everyone eat all day.  Someone inquired about the menu and was told that breakfast will be donuts and "something healthy" - when asked to define "something healthy" was told "oh, breakfast bars or something".  The snack hasn't been finalized, but they were only planning "something light - probably fruit".  I spoke up and suggested some yogurt, but who knows if it will actually show up.  

So not only is it a waste of my time, but I'll have to watch people eating stuff I don't want to eat all day, and probably have to deal with the questions about why am I not eating (and suggestions about how healthy the breakfast bars and fruit are).  

Anyone have measles or pink eye or something they can share?

Highest weight:  287    Surgery weight:  279   Current weight:  150

feels_so_good
on 6/18/14 12:48 pm
VSG on 05/20/14

Tough to find a bright side - I guess it's only a day. If it helps, your post made me laugh, wls is definitely not the easy way out.

5'10" Male : Consult Weight 428 1/16/14 : Pre-op m1 -3, m2 -12, m3 0, m4 -27 : SW 386 : m1 -25, m2 -22 m3 -15 4 -12: LW 278 CW 320 : Total Loss 108

4jessie
on 6/18/14 12:58 pm

Sorry no infections to share right now but I do feel your pain. Hopefully the day will fly by!

Surgery Day 3/20/14 Dr. Peter Billing

Pre-Op 336, Day of Surgery 322, Current Weight 250 (1/1/15) 86 lbs lost

csbsteph
on 6/18/14 1:37 pm, edited 6/18/14 1:37 pm - AL
VSG on 03/13/14

Awe sorry, but hang in there.  I remember my past corporate days of useless training & meetings sometimes taught at a kindergarten speed.  Really hang in there bring your own snacks & water; yogurt, natural almonds, protein shake,...piece of fruit in your own bag & it will all be fine.  Any questions or stares just smile & say you're doing a special eating plan.  I feel your pain & remember the mind-numbing waste of times I spent doing stuff like that.  Thankfully it's only 1 day; I once had to travel to Mississippi for a week long computer training session that could've been taught by a booklet or in a one day session. 

With God ALL things are possible! VSG 3/13/14 Dr. John Mathews

KRISTIN M.
on 6/18/14 2:44 pm

That stinks I would just bring a cute lunch bag with a good freezer pack and pack full of goodies and meals. make sure to include stuff you really enjoy so you don't feel like you are missing out. I would also bring some music or audio book to listen to during break/food time to keep you from looking around at every one eating.. plus if you look busy people won't pump you with questions. Good luck

HW  259. Sw 230.  Cw 188  TL 71 M1(-15) M2(-10)M3(-6)M4(-6)M5(-5)

themexcellentone
on 6/18/14 2:48 pm, edited 6/18/14 2:48 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Welcome to my world when I go to professional development sessions!

I pack my own food and drinks in an insulated lunch bag.  No one really cares or pays attention to the fact that I'm not eating what everyone else is eating, and I don't make a big deal of the fact that I'm not eating what everyone else is eating. 

In situations like this you have to be proactive and prepared.  Don't worry about what everyone else is eating that you're NOT eating--think about how much better you feel because you're not eating that stuff.  Bring your own food and drinks and all will be well.  If people ask why you're doing that, then the easy response is "I'm controlling my carb and fat intake, and nothing here helps me do that."  Period, end of story.  Your food choices are no one else's business.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

(deactivated member)
on 6/18/14 3:03 pm - Canada

Lol I'm sure you will power through...after all you'll be the only one eating healthy and will have the energy to stay awake during the day :P

Stacy_WLS
on 6/18/14 9:38 pm

The wasted time is a pain, but you are lucky you can be prepared!  I am on hour 9 of a trip, delayed in heathrow awaiting an 8 hour flight home, surrounded by coffee shops and duty free chocolate.  My cooler emptied days ago and security threw out my newly purchased yogurts.  We have to be able to find something that works.  Sometimes it isnt our exact plan, but if fruit is what gets me trhough, it is better than donuts.  

I know I will be hitting the protein hard when I get home.  And next time im going to pack some non coffee protein shake.  I need protein, but I also need sleep. 

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

cajunlady1958
on 6/19/14 12:08 am - Broussard, LA
Revision on 12/30/15
why did they throw out your yogurt?

You survived what you thought would kill you. Now straighten your crown and go forward like the Queen you are!

Stacy_WLS
on 6/19/14 11:05 pm

Because it is considered a liquid and is over 3 oz. 

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)