Cold Liquids Sensitivity

civilmomma
on 6/30/14 5:17 am, edited 6/30/14 5:19 am
VSG on 03/07/14

When does it go away?

From day 1 I have had a hard time with cold liquid hitting my empty stomach and causing an instant wave of nausea.  The nurse said it is likely a little stomach spasm b/c my sleeve doesn't like the temperature shock.  It isn't as bad as it was, but I still have trouble.  (the first sip is the worst, then it fades over the course of getting the ounces in)

This inability to comfortably drink cold liquids makes drinking protein shakes icky...either I get nauseous from the temperature or drinking a room temp shake tastes horrible.  I am surviving and have found ways to meet my goals w/o cold protein drinks (warm double protein milk by fair life- is my go-to for between meals), but

I'm just wondering if anyone has dealt with this and how long it lasted.  The nurse didn't really give me a timeframe and just said to call if it gets intolerable.

I am 3.5 months post op with no complications or issues.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

pharmagirl_45
on 6/30/14 12:56 pm - NJ
VSG on 01/14/14 with

I was the same way.  I'm almost 6 months post op and I'm just now starting to tolerate plain cold water.   For the first few months,  I couldn't drink cold liquids.   It will get better.  I'm just glad I can drink plain water now.  

VSG on 1/14/14 with Dr. Samuel Wasser

shrinking_sarah
on 7/1/14 2:35 am - CA

I think it's different for everyone.  My surgeon's office sold some protein coffee/hot chocolate mixes that were pretty good.  I also add my premier protein to a shot of espresso and microwave it for 30 seconds or so.  Maybe try that?  You could use decaf.

Sarah, VSG Dr. Cirangle--12/28/12, HW: 265 SW: 253 GW: 130???

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views