Horrible post-op hiccups

pugmadkate
on 7/2/14 8:24 am

So I had my surgery yesterday morning and today I've had two bouts of horrible hiccups.  The only trick that's ever worked for me is to guzzle water but obviously that's out.  This happen to anyone else?  Any cures???

shorty71
on 7/2/14 8:36 am - CT
VSG on 04/01/14 with

I usually hiccup when I'm full a lot of the times

VSG on 06/12/13

Yep the surgery messes with your vagus nerve and the hiccups are part of the deal. I find deep breathing and/or a random pattern of small sips and swallows usually does the trick. It should get better in time. Like the other poster, I often hiccup when I am full.

congrats on the surgery!

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

alpinista
on 7/2/14 9:26 am

I am almsot 5 months out and I still hiccup/burp after I eat and my sleeve is full.  I have been told that hiccups are most common, but mine is closer to a burp, or a combination of the two!  I never had this/symptoms before my surgery.  I assume I am eating too fast, or inhaling too much air!  Fortunately, my episodes are short-lived and not as bothersome as your seems to be.  I hope it eases soon!

pugmadkate
on 7/2/14 8:59 am

Thanks!

amyvsg6614
on 7/2/14 9:03 am
VSG on 06/06/14

I hiccup all the time now.. Hurts sometimes.. 

stevidad
on 7/2/14 9:24 am

I had them for 2 days after surgery ... Sometimes they lasted as long as 2-3 hours.  Nurses felt bad for me, but there was nothing they or me could do to stop them.  I feel your pain.  

pugmadkate
on 7/2/14 11:33 am

Thank you!  They finally ended on there own.  Whew!

brians34
on 7/2/14 11:45 am - Robinson, TX

I don't have sleeve yet, but let me give you my fix for hiccups and maybe it will help.

You take 3 deep breaths as deep as you can and let the air out as slow as possible each time.  If you hiccup during any of the deep breaths, start back at one.

So, take a deep breath, deeper, deeper, deeper, now let it out slowly.

Take another deep breath, deeper, deeper, let it out very slowly.

Repeat one more time. 

By the third time, my hiccups have always been gone.

I have shown this technique to family members, and it works with them also.

Good luck

56sunShine14
on 7/2/14 12:14 pm

I have always remembered, when you hiccup it is because you don't have enough air in your stomach (meaning you are full).  When you burp, it is because you have too much air in your stomach. So, a hiccup while eating tells me to stop eating, I am full.  But those hccup/burps...they just hurt! 

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 48 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 48 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 213 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 296 views