Did it sneak up on you?

megan.sherman
on 7/8/14 10:25 pm
VSG on 05/17/14

Over the weekend, I got together with my bestie since fifth grade.  We don't get to see each other often so it's great when we can get together.  She is "as big as a minute" as my mom would say.  She's very into fitness and she's vertically challenged.  I have always been a total contrast to her.  I am 5' 8" and was always grossly overweight.  Having pictures together with her was always a nightmare because she always looked so good and I well, didn't.  Her husband took a picture of us and she posted it on Facebook.  When I saw it, my first reaction was to be embarrassed but there was no reason to be.  I look like a totally average person even next to her!

That was an a-ha moment for me.  I know my clothes are smaller, I know that I'm smaller.  People tell me I'm getting skinny and curvy, people don't recognize me.  Even with all that, in my head, I am still over 300 pounds.  Seeing myself in that picture, I really realize how much I have changed.  Anyone else have a similar experience?

happyteacher
on 7/8/14 10:36 pm

First, congratulations on the drastic change!  Us taller chics (I am 6'2'') can carry a lot of weight on our frames before we really start to look morbidly obese.  I was eating lunch with some colleagues and I referenced my old "fatty Patty" self.  One teacher said something to the effect of "Oh c'mon, you were not THAT fat!".  I told her I lost more than she or any other teacher at the table weighed, and they were shocked.  They asked for the amount I lost and I told them, and they truly had difficulty wrapping their head around how much I lost compared to what I used to look like.  Don't get me wrong, there is a dramatic difference between my before and after pictures.  I just think for them they have seen me long enough at my slimmer self that they have a hard time remembering just how big I was. 

As far as pictures go I have one where I took it with the astronaut who said the famous line, "Houston, we have a problem".  He is short.  I realized immediately when I saw the picture how despite being a lot taller I did not physically dwarf him.  It was a bit starteling because that was the first time my brain truly registered how much slimmer I am... and that was before the tummy tuck and I look a whole lot slimmer now. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Mrs_Desire _
on 7/8/14 11:00 pm - Houston, TX
VSG on 11/18/13

I STILL do not see it. I am 5'10 and I still see the 305 person in the mirror. My boyfriend keeps saying I am getting skinny. My dad calls me skinny. Coworkers call me "Hey SLIM".... I just don't see it yet. Maybe I will see it once I get 20 to 35 pounds more off.

Good job on your weight loss!

Myfitnesspal: MsDesire​  - Revision from Realize Band Patient

Height: 5'10" HW: 305  SW: 298 Surg Goal: 195 Endo Goal: 165 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views